Network Optimization: Throttling unlimited data LTE users (October 2014)

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
re: Damn you verizon (possible throttling of future LTE for off contract unlimited uber-users)

What I think is being misunderstood here is that even if you and your wife are on the same account each line has separate contracts because the contracts are by line not per account. So adding a new phone to one line doesn't renew both contracts. Even switching the new phone does not renew the other lines contract. This is why the loophole even works.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
re: Damn you verizon (possible throttling of future LTE for off contract unlimited uber-users)

What I think is being misunderstood here is that even if you and your wife are on the same account each line has separate contracts because the contracts are by line not per account. So adding a new phone to one line doesn't renew both contracts. Even switching the new phone does not renew the other lines contract. This is why the loophole even works.

Simply put if you use the best buy method you will extend the contract on each line it's done on. Or if you transfer an upgrade to a non UDP you do in fact extend the contract on the UDP line....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

I hope you enjoy your "Network Optimization". Unlimited contracts will not be able to avoid it .

Last edited by a moderator:

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

IIRC, when they put Network Optimization in affect originally, it only affected those that were put in contract
after the change was implemented. For those still in a contract beyond October, we may be OK, though I think Verizon also has provisions to modify existing contracts at any time, but that could also allow people to escape without an ETF. However, if you have unlimited data most people don't want to go anywhere.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

IIRC, when they put Network Optimization in affect originally, it only affected those that were put in contract
after the change was implemented. For those still in a contract beyond October, we may be OK, though I think Verizon also has provisions to modify existing contracts at any time, but that could also allow people to escape without an ETF. However, if you have unlimited data most people don't want to go anywhere.

True. I just wonder if the throttle will be as bad as AT&T's unlimited throttle... AT&T throttles people to 0. 3 on LTE when they go over 5 GB... An example is below of my friends speeds when he hits the throttle limit for AT&T.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1406303631226.jpg
    1406303631226.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 91

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

I hope you enjoy your "Network Optimization". Unlimited contracts will not be able to avoid it .

You're just upset that you either don't have unlimited data or that you don't know how to renew your contract. I have 4 lines locked in with unlimited until 2016 and when their upgrade date arrives it'll be locked in until 2018 too.

alxarambula

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

With those speeds I think I'd be better off with these.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-25-09-25-26-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-25-09-25-26-1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 178

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You're just upset that you either don't have unlimited data or that you don't know how to renew your contract. I have 4 lines locked in with unlimited until 2016 and when their upgrade date arrives it'll be locked in until 2018 too.

Assuming they don't fix the loop hole you may be able to do it again after it expires. Only time will tell.

Edit - also when you sign the new contract.. If they don't fix it.. I am sure it will include this throttle so you wouldn't be able to avoid it.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Nothing is being misunderstood. When I transferred my wife's upgrade to a another line it renewed the contract on her line. This does not effect the line that the upgrade was transferred to. The phone can then be used on any line. She kept unlimited data and is undercontract and will suffer an an ETF if we cancel that line of service before September of 2015. This is a loophole to keep unlimited data and still get a subsidized phone.

My line is out of contract or month to month. I will again use this loophole to get a new subsidized phone. When using this loophole it will put my line back under contract for 2 years. I will still have unlimited data and will suffer an ETF if I cancel my line.

I understand Verizon can do many different things to my data plans. I think they actually just want my money and will make more inconvenient to keep unlimited data.

Ledsteplin

Q&A Team
Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Damn you verizon

I have 4 phones on the Verizon More Everything Plan. We share 4 gb of data and have no issues at all. We are all on wifi most of the time. What is an example of a "cell site" they speak of? Do they mean any online site?

I snuck over here from iMore! :D

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I have 4 phones on the Verizon More Everything Plan. We share 4 gb of data and have no issues at all. We are all on wifi most of the time. What is an example of a "cell site" they speak of? Do they mean any online site?

I snuck over here from iMore! :D

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

A cell site is basically the towers.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

They technically were paying for it. Verizon said here is a unlimited data plan for 30 bucks a month... They said okay and agreed to pay that for unlimited data... They didn't scam anything? :what:.

blackguard

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
Visit site

I'm so glad my government smacked down Verizon's attempt to enter here. Ours are already villains, we don't need a super villain.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Although it sucks, I was pretty sure that Verizon was going to do something to limit unlimited data around this time, since it is 2 years after Verizon officially allowed unlimited data on upgrades. My guess is, if you signed a contract before 10/1,that Verizon would not network optimize you until the contract is finished. But once m2m,or signing a new contract, then you would probably be network optimized. Although they can pull an att and throttle those currently on contract, due to the tmobile revolution, I don't think that Verizon would do this.

My suggestion is for those who have upgrades available, to upgrade before 10/1

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site

Honestly, If I lose UDP or am throttled to the point that I'm better off without it I will have no reason to stay with Verizon. AT&T has great coverage in my area and they also have more devices that I would want (Nexus 5). Verizon has the worst update rate, bloats the heck out of there phones, doesn't support great devices (oneplus one, nexus 5). Without unlimited there would be no reason for me to stay.

I'm not upset with Verizon, or trying to be reactive. I'm just stating the reality of the situation.

xiwong

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

Although it sucks, I was pretty sure that Verizon was going to do something to limit unlimited data around this time, since it is 2 years after Verizon officially allowed unlimited data on upgrades. My guess is, if you signed a contract before 10/1,that Verizon would not network optimize you until the contract is finished. But once m2m,or signing a new contract, then you would probably be network optimized. Although they can pull an att and throttle those currently on contract, due to the tmobile revolution, I don't think that Verizon would do this.

My suggestion is for those who have upgrades available, to upgrade before 10/1

I agree. I am now just contemplating what I am going to do with my UL tethering plan. If they do "optimize" after 5GB to incredibly slow speeds, I'm not paying $20-30 more. I'll just use one of those 'unblocked' 700MHz C Block apps.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I agree. I am now just contemplating what I am going to do with my UL tethering plan. If they do "optimize" after 5GB to incredibly slow speeds, I'm not paying $20-30 more. I'll just use one of those 'unblocked' 700MHz C Block apps.

Verizon would slow the Internet connection, so using third party hotspot app or default app won't make a difference if you are network optimized

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Honestly, If I lose UDP or am throttled to the point that I'm better off without it I will have no reason to stay with Verizon. AT&T has great coverage in my area and they also have more devices that I would want (Nexus 5). Verizon has the worst update rate, bloats the heck out of there phones, doesn't support great devices (oneplus one, nexus 5). Without unlimited there would be no reason for me to stay.

I'm not upset with Verizon, or trying to be reactive. I'm just stating the reality of the situation.

Sounds like att is the best for your needs. Even network optimized, Verizon is the cheapest for my needs too.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

oyeyemi808

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site

They technically were paying for it. Verizon said here is a unlimited data plan for 30 bucks a month... They said okay and agreed to pay that for unlimited data... They didn't scam anything? :what:.

$30 UDP never guaranteed top speeds either......so there's that. Glad I gave mine up & saved $$ on my bill + free New LG G3 with 6gig max plan for$30. ( I never went be over 3 gig a month anyway.

sent from my LG G3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa