New unlimited plan throttling question

bhameyedoc

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I am finally getting hit with the extra $20/month for the legacy unlimited data plan. I'll save $20+ dollars a month by switching to the Beyond Unlimited plan, but that 22 GB (possible) throttling worries me. I usually hit around 20 GB/month, so I think I should be fine.

Has anyone on the new unlimited plans had any throttling issues past 22 GB?

I guess since I have been on the legacy plan since I started with Verizon ~15 years ago, it feels like a safety net, but it seems silly not to switch and save about $250 a year.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So what happens is that if you are over the 22 GB for that line, and you are in a heavily congested area, your speeds will be temporarily reduced, as needed, to give priority to people that haven't used their 22 GB yet. My understanding is that this takes you down to below 1 Mbps, but only during the congestion. I've reached out to some nerds I know who have experienced it so hopefully they can share what it is like.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am finally getting hit with the extra $20/month for the legacy unlimited data plan. I'll save $20+ dollars a month by switching to the Beyond Unlimited plan, but that 22 GB (possible) throttling worries me. I usually hit around 20 GB/month, so I think I should be fine.

Has anyone on the new unlimited plans had any throttling issues past 22 GB?

I guess since I have been on the legacy plan since I started with Verizon ~15 years ago, it feels like a safety net, but it seems silly not to switch and save about $250 a year.

It really depends on your area. It is hard to judge. For example..

At my work when I am over 22 GB and it is mid-day it is extremely noticeable. I can have speeds go from 20-30 Mbps down to 0.1 Mbps. I recently found out this is due to 1 tower near my work serving a pretty large area so the congestion makes sense. After around 6 PM the speeds return to back to normal.

Anywhere else in town (where towers are abundant) I don't notice congestion even if over 22 GB. I always have consistent speeds.

bhameyedoc

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I am in a metro area of about 1.2 million, so I figured towers could get congested, so I was wondering how bad the slow down could be.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I am in a metro area of about 1.2 million, so I figured towers could get congested, so I was wondering how bad the slow down could be.

Some see slow downs from 50 Mbps to 10-15 .. Other see it down to unusable speeds. Just truly hard to judge.

My city is pretty populated but I don't see issues except for work due to that 1 tower.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The new plan is 480p right? Just to get 720p you have to pay extra. Forget 1080p which is no longer available at any price. New new 4k phones can only stream video at 720p. It aggravates me whenever I think about it. My legacy udp device now only gets 720p as well. Used to get 1080p. They swore I was grandfathered but they lie. Looking into XfinityMobile. They claim I can stream at 1080p on LTE but I won't believe it until someone posts it.

jfd3

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Actually on the two 720p plans you can pay an additional $10 to be allowed 1080p streaming. I just don't get it, if you're under your "cap" on the unlimited plan why would they care what you stream.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001