4G data while on wifi

jfd3

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone seen this issue (phenomenon) where even though you are at home on wifi you get charged data usage (300+ Mb) .
I have noticed this mostly on my son's iPhone 5s. It's concerning since we're on a limited data plan (8 Gb) for 4 phones.
Maybe someone could explain why there would be any data usage showing up while at home on wifi.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Joe

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard of anyone saying anything about this except for those using a Motorola Turbo -- Which Verizon advised they're going to fix. All other phones should work like normal.

Are you sure your son is using your wifi?

jfd3

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Is he getting picture texts? Those only use mobile data, even if you are on Wi-Fi.

I appreciate the feedback.

I'll ask him about picture texts, but 300 Mb of pictures would be an interesting discussion to have with my son.
I see little dings of data all night long on all of our phone's even though they are on wifi. It's the big hits that cause me the headaches. It doesn't take but a few nights of phantom data @ 300 Mb to take a Gb right off our share plan.
I am going to talk to Verizon tech support. We'll see where that goes.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the feedback.

I'll ask him about picture texts, but 300 Mb of pictures would be an interesting discussion to have with my son.
I see little dings of data all night long on all of our phone's even though they are on wifi. It's the big hits that cause me the headaches. It doesn't take but a few nights of phantom data @ 300 Mb to take a Gb right off our share plan.
I am going to talk to Verizon tech support. We'll see where that goes.

Ensure under your WiFi advanced settings that you have WiFi set to "Always" during sleep. This way it doesn't drop off of WiFi when the phone goes idle.

Also 300 MB of photos .. depending on the time .. isn't that much. I have thumbed through Reddit pictures one day to the tune of 200-250 MB. My girlfriend has a 3 GB data plan on her phone line (we are T-Mobile) and she uses 2.5 GB each month through 95% Facebook.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty