$25 credit with 10GB plan verification

CVisk

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I am just now moving to the More Everything plan and getting the 10GB plan. We have 3 smartphones, and 1 dumb phone. I have 1 smartphone line that is out of contract. I've heard that I should get a $25 per month credit on my new plan for as long as that line is out of contract. Is this correct? So over the course of 2 years I would save $600, and thus could just start buying phones at full retail price and never use the phone upgrade on that line? Just switch out the Sims in the cards. Is this correct? If so, why does not everyone do this instead of paying $199 on contract up front, plus the $25 extra each month? Am I missing something?
Thanks,
Chad

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You're correct. Some don't do it since they don't care about contracts and also since some don't have the cash for a full price phone.

CVisk

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I've always been buying phones on contract. Wish I would have known about this before. I bought an S3(since traded for a Note2) on contract 2 1/2 years ago for $199. If I would have used this method and saved $25 a month that comes to a total of $800 over 2 years. If I now purchase a Nexus 6 from Motorola for $650 and sell the Note 2 for $150(on the low end) I would essentially actually save $100 as I would still get the $25 per month credit over the next 24 months that would total $600. Then repeat that process and sell the N6 in 2 years and purchase a new phone at retail price. So if my math is correct, I would actually SAVE money by purchasing phones at retail price. And with 3 smartphones on the plan, 4 at some point, the savings are even more. Unless my math is wrong?

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Your math is basically correct. With the $25 out of contract discount, you can almost always save money if you purchase full price and sell the old one. Ultimately, it will depend on the prices of you pay and receive.

Posted via Android Central App

fantic

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hijack this thread but this is news to me. We have 10 smart phones on a 15 gig share everything plan. And 6 are out of contract. Can I call and get $150 knocked off my monthly bill? What are the rules and how do I do this? Man this would be awesome.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hijack this thread but this is news to me. We have 10 smart phones on a 15 gig share everything plan. And 6 are out of contract. Can I call and get $150 knocked off my monthly bill? What are the rules and how do I do this? Man this would be awesome.

If you are on the More Everything plan, all out of contract phones can receive a discount on their line access fee. You just need to contact Verizon to have it applied as it does not happen automatically. See The MORE Everything Plan FAQs | Verizon Wireless and look under the section "Verizon Edge and Month to Month Discounts".

Enjoy your savings!

fantic

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
So I have to sign up for Verizon Edge. Does the 25$ credit only apply to phones purchased on the Edge plan. Or phones that were purchased over 2 years ago and now out of contract?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So I have to sign up for Verizon Edge. Does the 25$ credit only apply to phones purchased on the Edge plan. Or phones that were purchased over 2 years ago and now out of contract?
You should get the discount so long as you are not on contract

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Per the link in my previous post:

"Discounts on the monthly line access charge are available for customers who have smartphones with Verizon Edge or on a month-to-month agreement.

You'll receive $25 off the monthly line access charge if you meet the following requirements:

You have a smartphone with Verizon Edge or you are on a month to month agreement
Your data allowance is 10 GB or greater

You'll receive $15 off the monthly line access charge if you meet the following requirements:

You have a smartphone with Verizon Edge or you're on a month to month agreement
Your data allowance is 500 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, 3 GB, 4 GB, 6 GB or 8 GB"

Just call Verizon and you'll get the discount.

fantic

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I just tried the chat. I was asked several times in different ways who told me this. Finally was told I had to call in. I'll try tomorrow and let you know.

fantic

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Well after talking to 3 different people I got it done. They last guy I talked to even gave me a credit off of last months bill. Glad I stumbled across this post.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
To the OP, your basic phone line will actually be cheaper if you put a smartphone on the line, keep it off contract, and get the $25/m discount.

We have 9 lines, 30 GB of data and pay about $29/line/month for everything since they are all off contract!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, your basic phone line will actually be cheaper if you put a smartphone on the line, keep it off contract, and get the $25/m discount.

We have 9 lines, 30 GB of data and pay about $29/line/month for everything since they are all off contract!

Dang that's a lot of phones :p.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Yup. Currently off contract smartphones pay $15/mo. Basic phones off contract pay $20/mo.

I am on the legacy family share plan so basic lines pay $10/mo regardless of on or off contract.

aaCharley

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I am on an old plan. Nationwide family plan with Unlimited Data and two phones. I was in the Verizon store and they would not give me the credit. I am long out of contract and have greater than 10Gb data.

anyone have any advice on how to make this work out?

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I am on an old plan. Nationwide family plan with Unlimited Data and two phones. I was in the Verizon store and they would not give me the credit. I am long out of contract and have greater than 10Gb data.

The discount doesn't apply to Nationwide plans. Anyone with unlimited is ineligible for the month to month discount.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

So you are paying $10 line access charge but want a $25 Line Access credit?

Joe378

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
What if he switches from a nationwide plan to the shares plan, would he then be eligible for the $25 line discount?