Verizon/Best Buy LG V10 for $49.00?

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Trying to figure out if there's something wrong with this deal. I'm currently on t-mobile, using about one gigabyte a month. My phone is 2 years old and I'd love to get a new one. TMO 2Gb plan will cost me $50/month. Verizon 1gb plan, 30+20. So I can live without the data as my usage is light and I don't see that changing. But, there's a good feature set on the V10 that make it seem awfully good for 49 bucks. Am I missing something in the small print?

Posted via the Android Central App

Droid3r

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Plus LG just started a promo ... You will get extra freebees.... you'll get a 64gb sd card extra battery and a charging cradle.

If you purchase the device between today and December 20, you have until December 31 to redeem the offer.

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I would have bet real money that the fine print on that extras deal would have excluded people getting the phone at a discount. But I just read through the promotional details and it does not appear to be restricted.

I almost bought a G4 through TMobile for $325, and then almost pulled trigger on Nexus X to go to Project Fi, but but those options didn't push me hard enough as the V10 is really what I want. This one might. Except for how BIG it is.

Posted via the Android Central App

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Just found the rub, which is the $40/month charge when you buy the phone at a discount price (vs. $20 when you pay full price for the phone). Verizon doesn't make that distinction nearly as clear at AT&T does. Which reminds me why I hate being on contract.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's correct. $20 line access for off contract, another $20 if you decide to go on contract on a current plan. You can ask to be put on an older plan like the nationwide plan which didn't have a price increase for going on contract

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
A faq on the Verizon site states that only the Nationwide for Business plans are still available for new activations. I can't imagine why they'd allow me to go on an old plan, as part of the strategy is to hit people with the extra 20 bucks so they can recover their subsidized phone cost. Plus, my data usage occasionally goes over 1gb, and I really don't want to go back to having to watch my usage in order to not get hosed by an overage charge every month. With TMO on the lowest tier, I get 2gb and no overage charges.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
A feq on the Verizon site states that only the Nationwide for Business plans are still available for new activations. I can't imagine why they'd allow me to go on an old plan, as part of the strategy is to hit people with the extra 20 bucks so they can recover their subsidized phone cost. Plus, my data usage occasionally goes over 1gb, and I really don't want to go back to having to watch my usage in order to not get hosed by an overage charge every month. With TMO on the lowest tier, I get 2gb and no overage charges.

If tmobile works for you then go for it. My comment was more for those who need to use Verizon. I would leave Verizon in a heartbeat but unfortunately my legacy Verizon plan is way cheaper than any other carriers plans, not to mention that Verizon has superior service where I need it.

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Got it. TMO has worked for me, and the only thing that's getting me to consider jumping is the lure of a new phone at a reduced price. However, I know they will make up the perceived savings in other ways, whether it's overage fees, or more dollars for an equivalent data plan. I just feel like consumers are getting fleeced by the big cell carriers no matter which way they go.