HTC Evo 4g or Motorola Triumph?

scubaslim

May 6, 2012
Visit site
The wife and I are still a few months away from upgrading from our Optimus V and Optimus Slider, but I was hoping to get some input and opinions. We are still on the $25/mo plan, so I am torn between the Triumph and HTC Evo V 4G.

We live in an "unannounced city" for WiMax, so I'm fairly confident we'd benefit from the 4G, although I've read it doesn't work indoors???

Anyway, I'd be rooting the Triumph with CM7 and overclocking it. I'd probably get extended batteries, as well. Ignoring the purchase price, is it worth the extra $10/mo for the EVO? I'd love to get some comparisons and pros & cons of each phone.

Thanks!

Last edited:

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The wife and I are still a few months away from upgrading from our Optimus V and Optimus Slider, but I was hoping to get some input and opinions. We are still on the $25/mo plan, so I am torn between the Triumph and HTC Evo V 4G.

We live in an "unannounced city" for WiMax, so I'm fairly confident we'd benefit from the 4G, although I've read it doesn't work indoors???

Anyway, I'd be rooting the Triumph with CM7 and overclocking it. I'd probably get extended batteries, as well. Ignoring the purchase price, is it worth the extra $10/mo for the EVO? I'd love to get some comparisons and pros & cons of each phone.

Thanks!

Between the two, go EVO... triumph is a flop. Total garbage :p

JarrodS

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Just faced the same decision last week. You should do a side-by-side comparison at phonescoop dot com - very helpful.

We plunked down the extra money on the EVO. Since we are new subs to Virgin Mobile (and thus no option for a $25 unlimited text/data plan AFAIK), it seemed like a no brainer for the price difference. The most important features it has over the Triumph are:

- Quad-band radio (800/850/1900MHz, plus the WiMax "4G" 2500MHz data band) vs. the Triumph's single band (1900MHz)
- Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" vs. 2.2 on the Triumph
- 1.2GHz dual-core vs. 1.0GHz single core processor
- The 3D camera, which I personally think is mega-cool but then I'm somewhat of a computer graphics geek

That's a lot of bang for the extra $150 IMO. Of course there is the radio resources bug to contend with, which has been a dealbreaker for some. But if you believe the report that HTC is working on a fix you might look past it, at least until your cutoff date for a return is looming.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Evo BY FAR triumph is complete junk. Hardware issues galore. Some people have gone through over 6 replacements and still not gotten one without issue.

Evo has ICS it's a high end phone (last year it was Sprint 's flagship android device)
Arguably the best phone on prepaid (depends if your an iPhone person or not)
Do not get the triumph of anything you should be comparing the one v and the evo.

Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G

emburybrett1

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Just add to your cart! ONLY $239.99 before tax... I think its time to trade in my iPad 2.
7f71a218.jpg

MorpheusX3

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Unless you're going to be on Stock or MIUI those are really the only stable ROMs for it. I've tried CM7 and it's a battery hog and CM9 (kang version) is glitchy.

I could only recommend two those two ROMs on the Triumph. Plus, as far as I'm concerned, the Motorola Triumph might as well have a resistive touchscreen. The touchscreen is terrible in other words. If you really are looking for a Triumph-like thing, stick with the One V. But as far as I'm concerned, the Evo V is the way to go.

jeromyraider

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
evo v wins, 1.2ghz dual core with 1gb ram compared to 1.0ghz 512 ram triumph.
evo v screen 4.3" qhd and 3d, and triumph only 4.1"
evo v battery 8hrs talk, triumph 4hrs talk
evo v is 4g, triumph dose not have 4g

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Unless you are very tech savey & are willing to hack up the Triumph right out of the box, I suggest the EVO V. It's ready to go out of the box, has a respectable array of apps & features that work as they should! ( It doesn't need hacking to fix any issues such as GPS with the MT). It's worth the money. I have the Evo V & the MT both in my house. My husband just got the Evo & I bought the MT in May when my OV toasted. The MT was the "biggest " phone out, and I needed a ready replacement. I couldn't wait till the end of may for the Evo V.
My old man's OV ran low on memory, even running a custom rom! He needed a business-class machine so the Evo got the job! It all depends on how much pocket change you're willing to spend &
what your actual needs are. Do your research & know that we "got your back" either way. Good luck.

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
The only reason I replied to this post was because I have both phones running side by side everyday. I get to see first hand how well they perform against each other.
It's stock ICS AGAINST MIUI 2.4.20 w/ mOCK kernel 1.7.14 w/ smartass v2 governor. My MT had to be rooted & have a custom rom flashed to enjoy most of the performance
that the EVO V get out of the box. Not complaining, just sayin!

rstout76

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up the evo v today. Radio shack has it for 229. Not a bad deal.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Android Central Forums