htc evo v 4g....rooting and jellybean help

Tigerstv44

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
My question is this: If can succeed to root and not brick my htc evo v 4g. Can I change from ICS to Jellybean, with a working phone. I've been reading posts for almost 8 hours now. But some say they got installed but the 3d camera doesn't work or texting doesn't work for example. Anyone out there had success with rooting and installing jellybean, with phone working 100%. Making calls, texting, email, Wi-Fi...etc. Phone seems to meet the hardware requirements..i.e. ram/rom. Know Virgin Mobile will never offer the upgrade, not sure where HTC comes down on offering a jellybean upgrade.

Thanks for any replies or help.

Steve

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Anyone out there had success with rooting and installing jellybean, with phone working 100%. Making calls, texting, email, Wi-Fi...etc. Phone seems to meet the hardware requirements..i.e. ram/rom. Know Virgin Mobile will never offer the upgrade, not sure where HTC comes down on offering a jellybean upgrade.

If the rom doesn't have it working, nobody else will. You can pretty much count on it. Notice how ALL non stock based roms have broken 3D?

You're stuck with ICS. Manufacturers do not release updates for users if the carrier won't push it.

adamhos

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
There are several jb roms that have everything working except 3d....check android forums and xda.

To flash a jb or non sense based Rom you most likely need to.lower your hboot version, which requires s off. Once you lower your hboot you can flash roms that are made for the evo.3d, and then a little more work is required to get mms working, but there are flashable zips and guides to get you there.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Android Central Forums

Tigerstv44

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to "S-off", without this "Wire Trick" method they show on Youtube?? I'd like to get all my procedure ducks in a row and avoid "bricking" my phone. Again, thanks for your tips and help.

Tigerstv44

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
So before this padawan goes down the dark side path of "rooting". Should I do the S-off wire trick first or the rooting. I was going to follow the thread "How to root/rom fastboot and htcdev thread.

adamhos

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
So before this padawan goes down the dark side path of "rooting". Should I do the S-off wire trick first or the rooting. I was going to follow the thread "How to root/rom fastboot and htcdev thread.

From what I understand, it is now recommended to make sure you have received ota update, I think you unlock bootloader, get s off, then root.

When I did it I rooted first, but that's been a few months now.

Tigerstv44

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Also, is there any known s-off software for windows 64bit machines. I have win 8 64bit and this and this unlimited I/O says only for 32 bit. Looking at this Juopunutbear software page.

Tigerstv44

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted confirmation it was what I thought it was, checking under system updates on phone. My bad, nothing to do with being bothered. Lesson learned.

Tigerstv44

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Success Rooting my HTC EVO V 4G: Boy but spent almost 8 hours last night with the damn htc sync program, installing and uninstalling. Putting just the drivers in system32 and syswow64 folders. Ended succeeding with htc sync manager and no htc sync installed. Reading all the forums of folks with htc one x and can't even sync a sweet phone like that. HTC needs to fix this issue, that no one can sync there devices. I was stuck at the adb bootloader, cause couldn't find my device. Thanks for all the help, even though I couldn't be bothered one time.....:):):)

Tigerstv44

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Just finished the rooting process for newbies. Still looking for Jellybean rom, so far you lose some functions that work with ics. But will update if find a rom that works on the evo v 4g.

Tigerstv44

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Just read the thread posting for xda developers. Boy, lots of steps ahead of me to flash cyanogenmod 10.1. For example lowering my hboot version from ICS VM HBOOT - 1.57.5757 to lower version. I'm okay with 3d camera function not working, never really use it anyway. Thanks for posting your thread letting me know about this cyanogen mod 10.1.

adamhos

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
If you are s off, all you need to do is download the pg86img.IMG file for the 1.50 hboot.

Put that on the root of your sd card.

Reboot into bootloader, and apply the update.

Just make sure you rename or move it when you're done.

Also a stock rom will bootloop on lower than 1.57, so flash harmonia real quick and then change your hboot...it'll save you a headache in the future

Tigerstv44

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
So since I have the stock rom with twrp. As your thread shows do the pg86img first, and then after renaming or moving it. Flash harmonia, changing my hboot. Then should be ready..."knock on wood sound", be ready for cygan 10.1???

Tigerstv44

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
To make sure also, is this the correct file: The goo manager updated my recovery to TWRP v2.4 today.

HTC EVO V 4G "Firmware" (Update to new TWRP v2.4.1.0 which supports CM10.1 ROMs) that is contains:
Virgin updates From the 1.14.652.0 OTA (Over the Air) Radio + Firmware
jBear hboot 1.50.5050
TWRP touch recovery ( please see TeamWin Projects - TWRP 2.4 - HTC Evo 3D (CDMA) | TeamWin )
VM_OTA-1.14_Hboot-jb1.50_twrp-241_PG86IMG.zip - 16.41 MB
MD5SUM: 680ef62b46e40dd554ef0785b747fd03

adamhos

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I would flash harmonia first as it should work with any hboot.....if you change the hboot on stock Rom you will boot loop

1) make a nandroid if you haven't yet
2) flash harmonia
3) change hboot
4) reboot to harmonia and delete/rename/or move pg86 file
5) in recovery do a full wipe
6) flash new Rom / gapps