We have root and recovery

crux

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
You do not install flash_image. It's just an executable file. You just need to copy it over to your phone.

Make sure you follow all the commands listed in the instruction. You have to be in the System directory before you can run the flash_image since the instruction moves it there.

Follow the instruction exactly.

oh, thank you. for some reason i was looking at different instructions when i tried the first time o.o

worked like a charm!

Mark_One

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I just have a question, I have the new Straight Talk LG Optimus Q which is supposed to be the same as the VM LG Optimus Slider, I wonder if this proccess of rooting the OS will work on my Optimus Q, if anyone here thinks its too risky or its just the same phone so it should work as well?

oatflake

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I just have a question, I have the new Straight Talk LG Optimus Q which is supposed to be the same as the VM LG Optimus Slider, I wonder if this proccess of rooting the OS will work on my Optimus Q, if anyone here thinks its too risky or its just the same phone so it should work as well?

If you are somewhat savvy with computers, you can take unzip the file and notice that it's made up of a bunch of execuables, and the first key step to rooting the phone is installing and running a program called "zergrush" on the phone.

Zergrush will tell you whether it has successfully been able to root your phone. There is no danger in running that by itself. It does nothing permanent to the phone; worst case it tells you wasn't successful and you don't have to do the rest of the steps.

Mark_One

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
If you are somewhat savvy with computers, you can take unzip the file and notice that it's made up of a bunch of execuables, and the first key step to rooting the phone is installing and running a program called "zergrush" on the phone.

Zergrush will tell you whether it has successfully been able to root your phone. There is no danger in running that by itself. It does nothing permanent to the phone; worst case it tells you wasn't successful and you don't have to do the rest of the steps.

Ok so I have tried the steps on the Link on my LG Optimus Q(from straight talk) and when I run the run.bat it says daemon not running. starting daemon. Daemon started successfully.
And it stays there forever, I have my phone on debugging and and everything as the steps say.
So I tried running the the run.bat twice simultaneously and it gets interesting it goes beyond the daemon started successfully but it says error: device not found. or error: protocol fault.

But the device IS plugged in.
Any ideas?

oatflake

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I have tried the steps on the Link on my LG Optimus Q(from straight talk) and when I run the run.bat it says daemon not running. starting daemon. Daemon started successfully.
And it stays there forever, I have my phone on debugging and and everything as the steps say.
So I tried running the the run.bat twice simultaneously and it gets interesting it goes beyond the daemon started successfully but it says error: device not found. or error: protocol fault.

But the device IS plugged in.
Any ideas?

So, just some background - this root exploit works by basically copying a bunch of files onto your phone and then running them. The way it does this is with a free program called Android Debug Bridge, which is what "adb" stands for. On Windows, adb requires that you have the appropriate drives installed which are compatible with your phone, and the phone itself has to be set configured to allow the adb program to talk to it. On the phone, that setting is:

Settings->Applications->Development->USB Debugging (checked)

After you have the phone setup that way, and you've connected your phone, you need to make sure that adb is capable of talking to your phone.

The root exploit itself comes with a tiny version of adb and associated libraries; if you go into the command prompt and type "adb shell" you should see something that looks like a dollar sign ($). You can then type linux-like commands like "ls" and "exit". If you are unable to do those things, then the whole run.bat won't work because it depends on adb to be able to run commands on your phone.

If you can't get adb to work, it's most likely that the drivers you have are not working for your phone.

FYI, I did this on a Macintosh by running each of the adb commands in run.bat by hand; the Mac has the drivers built-in which are compatible with the LG Optimus Slider, so if you have access to someone's Mac you might want to try that there. There is also adb for linux, and that might be easier if you prefer doing it that way.

Mark_One

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
So, just some background - this root exploit works by basically copying a bunch of files onto your phone and then running them. The way it does this is with a free program called Android Debug Bridge, which is what "adb" stands for. On Windows, adb requires that you have the appropriate drives installed which are compatible with your phone, and the phone itself has to be set configured to allow the adb program to talk to it. On the phone, that setting is:

Settings->Applications->Development->USB Debugging (checked)

After you have the phone setup that way, and you've connected your phone, you need to make sure that adb is capable of talking to your phone.

The root exploit itself comes with a tiny version of adb and associated libraries; if you go into the command prompt and type "adb shell" you should see something that looks like a dollar sign ($). You can then type linux-like commands like "ls" and "exit". If you are unable to do those things, then the whole run.bat won't work because it depends on adb to be able to run commands on your phone.

If you can't get adb to work, it's most likely that the drivers you have are not working for your phone.

FYI, I did this on a Macintosh by running each of the adb commands in run.bat by hand; the Mac has the drivers built-in which are compatible with the LG Optimus Slider, so if you have access to someone's Mac you might want to try that there. There is also adb for linux, and that might be easier if you prefer doing it that way.

Alright so far I believe I'm beginning to understand, and I tried many ways to get my computer to recognize my phone as a device and not a mass storage device, I used a program called PdNet which infact was able to access my phone and install itself in my phone too. So Now when I run Adb devices on the comand line it says the device is attched but offline. so when I run the run.bat now instead it says error device offline. This is all while using the pdanet way to conect my LG Optimus Q, I tried installing the android usb driver but my computer says windows was unable to install your LG Android USB Device.

I don't know what Im doing wrong...

Nizz0.0Rock

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok nevermind Oatflake now I got the adb to recognize my device and the root is working!

Hey Mark_One, i was wondering if you could email me the steps in detail you used to root your lg optimus q so i can root my phone as well. me and a friend spent all night trying to figure this phone out, we tried to do it on windows and a mac and still no luck.
my email is damionj117 @yahoo . com.. (just remove the spaces in the email address)
your help would greatly appreciated

wyssaj01

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I'm trying to root an optimus q and I can't get adb to pick it up. The problem is that I can't get Windows XP to pick up on the drivers for it. Did you use Windows 7 when you did yours and did you have to manually point it to the drivers or did it just pick it up automatically?

Mark_One

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I'm trying to root an optimus q and I can't get adb to pick it up. The problem is that I can't get Windows XP to pick up on the drivers for it. Did you use Windows 7 when you did yours and did you have to manually point it to the drivers or did it just pick it up automatically?

Yeah I used windows 7, I had the same issue, I tried to install the drivers manually n windows always said that it found no compatible drivers when I would pinpoint it to the usb_drivers folder with the drivers, then I used pdanet which was able to connect to my phone but it interfeered with the adb, so then I used a usb program that can sort of delete usb connections n then I installed the drivers again via the lg optimus v drivers, I ran the adb again and it recognized my phone.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk

wyssaj01

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
no the only thing you attached for me and my friend was the platform-tools folder. if you can email me the drivers that would be awesome. my address is wyssaj at gmail dot com

TenjinAkuma

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm in need of the files and the step-by-step in getting the Optimus Q working as well. I've been looking everywhere for the USB drivers and I just can't seem to find them.

So, Mark_One, if you could, please e-mail me the instructions and files for getting it working. I'd really appreciate it. Email is akumadaimao at gmail.

tylermich7

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
when i enter the above, noted that i changed the VM701_recovery to VM701_recovery.img in my sdcard. When I enter the codes in the emulator as soon as i get to the VM701_recovery.img line and enter it. the next line reads flash_image: not found

anyone know whats wrong?
my phones rooted and all, just having this isssue in flashing this.
itried everything and re entered everything at least 7 times, no change in luck. HELP

tylermich7

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
i got the flash_image and the VM701_recovery.img installed on my sdcard.
i entered the terminal commands correctly a few times and everytime i get

error opening /sdcard/VM701_recovery.img: No such file or directory

anyone help me with this?