Anyone using Chase app and QuickDeposit?

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
With Chase app v2.2 on my LG Optimus V running BB 2.4, the check pictures I take are all coming out blurred. It starts off clear, the camera does its focusing thing, but stops short of finishing the focus before taking the picture. Unfortunately, I didn't save a backup of the previous version of the Chase app to determine whether it's the app or a problem with my phone. So I'm asking to see if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. Pictures I take with the stock Android camera focus fine.

kell

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
With Chase app v2.2 on my LG Optimus V running BB 2.4, the check pictures I take are all coming out blurred. It starts off clear, the camera does its focusing thing, but stops short of finishing the focus before taking the picture. Unfortunately, I didn't save a backup of the previous version of the Chase app to determine whether it's the app or a problem with my phone. So I'm asking to see if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. Pictures I take with the stock Android camera focus fine.

yep, have the same problem. Called Chase and didn't get anywhere. They said no one else reported the problem.

gsrrr

Derp
Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
The latest update made the picture blurry. Every update made the app worse.

Check the reviews. Plenty of others experiencing the same thing.

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The irony is that the changelog for the latest update says it was to improve QuickDeposit image quality.

It didn't occur to me to backup the prior version before upgrading, and I'm hesitant to download an older version of the Chase app from somewhere else (since it is a banking app). So I guess I'll have to wait until Chase fixes it in a later version. It appears the app just isn't bothering to wait for the Optimus' camera to finish its focusing.

Reactions: gsrrr

gsrrr

Derp
Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
The irony is that the changelog for the latest update says it was to improve QuickDeposit image quality.

It didn't occur to me to backup the prior version before upgrading, and I'm hesitant to download an older version of the Chase app from somewhere else (since it is a banking app). So I guess I'll have to wait until Chase fixes it in a later version. It appears the app just isn't bothering to wait for the Optimus' camera to finish its focusing.

Thanks for reminding me I had the old version backed up.

Chum

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Also horribly blurry here, to the point that I can't even deposit checks by picture anymore on my Optimus (S version on Sprint). Very disappointing, as the ONLY reason I switched to a Chase bank account early this year was for this feature!

Any idea where I can get the previous version of the app?

Side question, how do you even back-up an application in the first place? Is it possible without rooting?

zires

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Looks like crap on my wife's optimus v...oh well. Waiting for an update.

@Chum, mybackuppro backs up apps without rooting. But it's so easy to root using gingerbreak.

Reactions: Chum

Chum

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Looks like crap on my wife's optimus v...oh well. Waiting for an update.

@Chum, mybackuppro backs up apps without rooting. But it's so easy to root using gingerbreak.

Thanks for your follow-up. I learned last night how to back up applications using Astro File Manager which I already had installed. I wish I knew this before I updated the Chase program! I wonder how long it will be until they release a fix. Perhaps someone out there can share a link to the previous version?

ScatterBrained

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I have tried to take a check image with the Paypal app to deposit a check to my account and have the same issue, picture comes out blurry. So maybe its the phone camera?

gsrrr

Derp
Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I have tried to take a check image with the Paypal app to deposit a check to my account and have the same issue, picture comes out blurry. So maybe its the phone camera?

No it's not the camera. I've reverted to my backup copy of the previous version of the app and was able to use the quick deposit recently. The current version of the app gave me blurry pictures.

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The new version takes the picture too quickly...the Optimus hasn't finished with its focusing cycle before the app captures the picture. And it happens to be at the point that the picture is completely blurry...in that case, t'd take a way better picture if it didn't focus at all.

gsrrr

Derp
Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Care to share the version of the app that works?

I think I've found the apk file for it. If it was just any other app I would not hesitate to upload it but this is a banking app. Is there anyway for me to "look" into the file to see if there is any personal information stored in there?

Chum

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I think I've found the apk file for it. If it was just any other app I would not hesitate to upload it but this is a banking app. Is there anyway for me to "look" into the file to see if there is any personal information stored in there?

That I don't know. I doubt that there would be any personal information saved in there because the app makes you login every time (no option to save usernames and passwords) but I understand your concern since it is a banking app.

ppww

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Consider this another plea for someone to upload the pre-2.2 version of the app so we don't have to keep running to the ATM! Unfortunately, I'm a fairly new user and didn't start doing backups until after the update.

(Before anyone spreads more misinformation, the .apk file is just the code exactly as downloaded from the Market. It contains no user data. And as long as Chase used the same signing key as they did with the current, verifiable .apk, anyone can use jarsigner to verify authenticity. I'd never use a randomly posted financial application unless I went through this step first.)

ppww

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Responding to my own request, looks like someone already uploaded the previous Chase app version 2.1 here, at 4shared.com. I was able to deposit a check on the first try after rolling back to this version; no camera focus problem.

For those who are as paranoid as I am, you can verify that it positively came from Chase as follows. Assumes you have a recent JDK installed, as .apk files are actually jar files. (For those who can't or don't care to go through this process, at least verify that the MD5 sum of the .apk file is the same as the one I've authenticated, in case someone swaps out the version I've pointed to with a trojan. That would be very bad....)
Code:
% md5sum com.chase.sig.android.apk 
9a6298ef5664ffd21c17236692dcd538 *com.chase.sig.android.apk
Verify the digital signature of the .apk file in question. Note that the status of all files except those in META-INF is "sm" (signed, and included in manifest).
Code:
% jarsigner.exe -verify -verbose -certs com.chase.sig.android.apk
Now extract the signature file from com.chase.sig.android.apk and note all the signing certificate details, including fingerprints.
Code:
% jar xvf com.chase.sig.android.apk META-INF/JPMC.RSA
% keytool -printcert -file META-INF/JPMC.RSA
It's self-signed, so you can't rely on a Certificate Authority like Verisign to prove where it really came from. But you can compare its fingerprints to those of the certificate extracted from a known-authentic copy of the latest app downloaded from Android Market. So grab a copy of that now, and repeat the last 2 commands on that .apk and its JPMC.RSA file. Visually compare the certificate fingerprints, and verify that they are identical between the two signature files. If they match, you have proof that the same key signed both the new (known-authentic) and downloaded (unknown authenticity) app, so the latter can be trusted.

ppww

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Damn, as of today, Chase has now stopped accepting logins from the 2.1 app. Forced update to 2.2, and can no longer take usable pictures of checks. Reported this issue 3 months ago, and still not fixed!?! Maybe users need to scream louder; submit problem reports through Online Banking message center, and call 877-210-1672 until they get the hint. I was advised to send images of any error messages to tbcm.screenshots@chase.com

Last edited: