Update: GPS Won't Work Without Wi-Fi

larrytxeast

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I posted in this this earlier thread about the GPS problems I have been having with my LG Optimus V. I posted that it seemed to be working fine, but in fact it is NOT, and I have more specifics.

Again, it is an Android 2.2, non-roooted LG Optimus V.

Basically: it gets a good lock at home where it can also use Wi-Fi, but on the road, it can't get a lock to save its life. It can only get to within 3000 meters or so. You will see the "pointer" & then you will see that the "blue area" (where it's basically showing how far of a range it's saying your actual spot could actually be vs the pointer) is absolutely HUGE when on the road. ONLY when at home & using the Wi-Fi does it get it down to 3-6 meters or so. Away from home: I don't care how long you stay still or even hold it pointing straight at the sky, it absolutely WILL NOT get any closer than 3000 meters or so.

It JUST started doing this, used to it would obtain a 3-6 meter lock easily anywhere there was a decent signal and I did so quickly even if GPS connectivity was kept off & only turned on barely 2 seconds before executing Google Maps, there still were no problems at all. Now it absolutely WILL NOT get a lock under ANY circumstances away from home's Wi-Fi.

I realize Google Maps constantly will remind you to turn Wi-Fi on if it's off as it helps map out certain things more quickly, but then again obviously the whole point of GPS is to be able to get directions on the ROAD.

Is it possible that the GPS antenna in my phone broke or something? My wife's far simpler LG Rumor Touch (a "messaging" phone) can get a lock, so there's no reason my LG Optimus can't do the same.

Tips?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress