All apps disappear from Home Screen when locking and unlocking the screen.

RedmiNote5APrime123

Dec 15, 2019
Visit site
Hello.
I have a Redmi Note 5A Prime phone using Android 7.1.2 N2G47H and MIUI Global 11.0.2 | Stable 11.0.2.0(NDKMIXM) and i have encountered a problem after my last system update:
When i lock my screen and unlock it the following happens :
All the apps on that page ( side pages still have apps visible ) are invisible
Clicking randomly on the screen will boot the apps which are hidden there
If i change my screen size from 4x5 to 5x5 or viceversa the apps appear on the home screen again.

How do i fix this problem ?

RedmiNote5APrime123

Dec 15, 2019
Visit site
I do not know that. The phone is still in warranty and im hoping to find some traditional fixes if the problem has already been encountered by other people.

So far i've cleared the cache and data of the Launcher and rebooted the phone , the problem was fixed for a while and it reappeared. I had not yet tried a factory reset ( so that the person using it would not lose all accounts and apps , since he's not well versed in phones ) on the phone and decided to try my luck on the forums first.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I do not know that. The phone is still in warranty and im hoping to find some traditional fixes if the problem has already been encountered by other people.

So far i've cleared the cache and data of the Launcher and rebooted the phone , the problem was fixed for a while and it reappeared. I had not yet tried a factory reset ( so that the person using it would not lose all accounts and apps , since he's not well versed in phones ) on the phone and decided to try my luck on the forums first.
Are you using stock launcher or 3rd party?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Ok, so boot into Safe Mode and see if the problem persists. If not, then some app you installed is likely causing the bug.

RedmiNote5APrime123

Dec 15, 2019
Visit site
Are you using stock launcher or 3rd party?

Stock Launcher

B. Diddy said:
Safe Mode

The problem is the issue fixes itself at restart for a while , it would take hours up to days of using the phone in safe mode just to actually test this , not viable .

Adding some repro steps once the issue occurs :
I press the button to lock my screen
I press the button to unlock my screen
I observe my home screen does not have any apps on it
I press where my apps usually are on the home screen
The app starts loading
I close the app and look at my home screen
There are still no apps on my screen

Workaround :
A. Open home screen settings and change the size from 4x5 to 5x5
Look at the home screen
My apps are visible again
B. Remove the cache and data of the Home Launcher default app
The problem no longer occurs for a few hours up to a few days
C. Restart the phone
The problem no longer occurs for a few hours up to a few days

Lock the screen and unlock it and the problem appears again.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The problem is the issue fixes itself at restart for a while , it would take hours up to days of using the phone in safe mode just to actually test this , not viable.
That's why repairs sometimes seem outrageously expensive - because it takes days to diagnose the problem.

It may not be viable, but it's the only way to find out if it's an app causing the problem.

If you don't want to go through that, you'd have to do a factory reset, losing all the data and installed apps (and the owner would have to put in his Google password during the reset).