PDF don't show up on Books

spoof3r

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone! Joined your world last night after my wife got me a Kindle Fire for Christmas. I'm enjoying it but do have a question. I am able to use file explorers to view the PDF files on my network server (I've tried ES Explorer and one other which I don't remember the name). I can even copy them over to my kindle into numerous folders available on my Kindle. I've tried copying them over into the "Books" folder, but for some reason they won't show up under my "Books" tab in the Kindle's Home menu. They do show up in the "Docs" tab, however.

Is there any reason for this? I'm able to view them just fine, which is the ultimate goal, but I would like to have them show up in the proper section. Could this be because they are PDF files and not Kindle's specific book format?

Thanks for the assistance.

- Patrick

Loren

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Could this be because they are PDF files and not Kindle's specific book format?
Yes, that is correct.
You can convert the PDF to Kindle book format or just view as a PDF.

rmrashkin

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I have found that even a file in .mobi format will show up as a Document. I think it just has to do with how different files are being managed. I figure "Books" are only what comes through the Kindle store.

rmrashkin

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
The best tool I've found is Calibre. Supposedly, when you send a .pdf file to your @kindle.com account you can specify "convert" in the subject line. I've had mixed results with that, mostly poor. But as I said before, my experience is that even after converting to .mobi, the resultant files show up as "Documents" rather than "Books".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa