Need your help please read

spmorgan999

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
A friend of mine lost his phone which promoted me to prepare in case I lost mine.
I have an HTC Wildfire S running 2.3 I think
I set up android device manager and wanted to test the remote lock function
I set a password and message and sent it to the phone and it locked as it should have BUT I now can't enter the new password to unlock the phone as I have a numeric keypad come up and I need to enter an alphanumeric password. My original lock screen was a four digit pass code and it appears to display the same keypad making it impossible to unlock.
Please can you help this is such a silly situation. Am I missing something?
I will be eternal grateful if you could provide an answer. I don't want to factory rest my phone.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
A friend of mine lost his phone which promoted me to prepare in case I lost mine.
I have an HTC Wildfire S running 2.3 I think
I set up android device manager and wanted to test the remote lock function
I set a password and message and sent it to the phone and it locked as it should have BUT I now can't enter the new password to unlock the phone as I have a numeric keypad come up and I need to enter an alphanumeric password. My original lock screen was a four digit pass code and it appears to display the same keypad making it impossible to unlock.
Please can you help this is such a silly situation. Am I missing something?
I will be eternal grateful if you could provide an answer. I don't want to factory rest my phone.

Welcome to Android Central :)
A factory reset is the only option in this case. If there was another way to get into the phone, setting up a pin would be useless

Posted via Android Central App

spmorgan999

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Firstly thank you for your reply.
I am sorry I must not have made my point clearly.
I know my 4 digit pass code and I know the new password sent by device manager.
My problem is that I can't enter letters from a numeric keypad and that is all that is displayed.
My original 4 digit code no longer works which is expected.
The keyboard should be displayed to allow my to enter a password but it isn't
Hopefully this is a better explanation of the problem
I don't think I did anything wrong. It is either a bug or I am missing how to get the keyboard up to enter the password

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and hopefully we can arrive at a solution here. There is sometimes a button to toggle between a numberpad and an alphanumeric keypad, but I don't know what your keypad looks like. Can you take a picture of the screen with the keypad up, and post it in this thread?

spmorgan999

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. There isn't a button to toggle between the keyboard and the keypad but I have now managed by trial and error to get over the problem.

I also own an HTC Desire S so I decided to swap the sim to the Desire S to see if I could get this phone working with my Sim. When I received the Desire S as an upgrade I originally set up the same applications etc so I knew it was a close match.
Anyway, the sim worked fine in the Desire S so I was happy that I had a working phone at last.
I then decided to try the Wildfire S without a Sim and to my surprise it displayed the keyboard rather than the keypad.
I entered the password and it let me access the phone. I resisted the urge to remove the password at this time.
I then put my Sim back in the Wildfire S and it displayed the keyboard this time so I was able to access the phone.
I then changed my pass code back to the 4 digit code I originally had.

Thanks for your time and suggestions. I hope my experience might help someone else.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. There isn't a button to toggle between the keyboard and the keypad but I have now managed by trial and error to get over the problem.

I also own an HTC Desire S so I decided to swap the sim to the Desire S to see if I could get this phone working with my Sim. When I received the Desire S as an upgrade I originally set up the same applications etc so I knew it was a close match.
Anyway, the sim worked fine in the Desire S so I was happy that I had a working phone at last.
I then decided to try the Wildfire S without a Sim and to my surprise it displayed the keyboard rather than the keypad.
I entered the password and it let me access the phone. I resisted the urge to remove the password at this time.
I then put my Sim back in the Wildfire S and it displayed the keyboard this time so I was able to access the phone.
I then changed my pass code back to the 4 digit code I originally had.

Thanks for your time and suggestions. I hope my experience might help someone else.

That's weird, but sim cards seem to be an issue in some rare cases. Glad you got it fixed :)

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress