ICS and phone cameras

jumpo64

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Here's a question that I've not really heard explained by any Android news source or Google.:

I assume most people watched the Galaxy Nexus/ICS event. Among other things, one feature I like the most is the ability to take pictures almost instantly as was demonstrated by the Galaxy Nexus. However, one thing no one has been completely clear on is whether or not taking pictures that quickly has more to do with ICS, or with the GN?

For example, ICS and the GN were designed to work together, at least to some extent, and ultimately create the best (or fastest) picture experience. However, will another phone, one not designed specifically with ICS in mind (read: Vigor/Rezound, RAZR) still be able to take quick pictures when they are eventually upgraded.

TLDR version: How much does the fast picture taking deal with ICS, and how much the actual camera sensor?

jumpo64

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
A recent android central post makes it seem like it may be more dependent on hardware than software.

Granted this is a dev community port of ICS to the nexus S. However, if this is any kind of indicator, it seems that phones that are upgraded to ICS will not be as fast as what we have seen on the Galaxy Nexus.

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
This sounds like something that would be hardware dependent up to a point. I would think that shutter lag on a phone might be a combination of hardware and software, so while ICS may limit the amount of shutter lag, it would probably be to a certain point on other phones not named galaxy nexus.

Sent from my beast of a phone... Galaxy S2

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Panda stated a while back that the GN had a 5mp sensor rather than an 8mp sensor to achieve zero shutter lag. It could not buffer 8mp images fast enough to do rapid fire shots without lag.

*customized tapatalk signature*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38