Can someone recommend a DARK Bedside alarm clock?

cwoodffr

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Coming from Blackberry where there is a terrific dark bedside mode. I have an Xperia ZL and every one I try looks dark but lights up the room like crazy. Anyone know of one that is truly dark and has a legit bedside mode?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What about the stock Jellybean Alarm Clock--do you have that? Just open Clock, and tap the menu button, select Night Mode.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You could also install an app that dims the screen further than the stock controls usually allow. Try Screen Filter or Screen Dimmer. Keep in mind, though, that when you dim the screen with these apps, you might encounter a weird glitch with Amazon Appstore that prevents you from pressing the Install button when trying to download and install an app. This resolves once you turn off the dimmer.

cwoodffr

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
You could also install an app that dims the screen further than the stock controls usually allow. Try Screen Filter or Screen Dimmer. Keep in mind, though, that when you dim the screen with these apps, you might encounter a weird glitch with Amazon Appstore that prevents you from pressing the Install button when trying to download and install an app. This resolves once you turn off the dimmer.

Thanks. Tried it just now and it certainly dims what is on the screen but not the black background. You wouldn't think black could emit light but it does.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Try this app, it might let you set the brightness lower than factory default: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pps/details?id=com.bwx.bequick&token=VbUUMyW-

You can also use Tasker and create a task to set display brightness and "disable safeguard" to set the brightness low as possible.

Otherwise, buy a device with AMOLED screen and use a clock widget that let you change text color like Chronus or DashClock maybe.

sent via tapatalk

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I think the issue may be that you have an LCD screen. My Moto X is my first AMOLED screen phone. When the screen is black there is 0 light emitting from that part of the screen unlike an LCD screen which still emits light from the blacked areas. In regards to the alarm clock, I just use the daydream feature.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App

bradleyem

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I use desk clock plus. It has a night mode with a black background and floating green clock. I also go into Settings> Screen Saver Properties and change Dim Timeout to "Immediately" and Dim Level to "80%".

Like others said, an LCD screen won't dim as much as an AMOLED screen, but this app has worked the best of any desk clock/dock app that I've tried. It also has some other cool features.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the phone (regardless of the screen type) is in a TPU case (they protrude about 1/8" past the screen) and you put it face down, there won't be any light coming out of it.

(As far as black emitting light, there's an LED panel behind the screen. The screen is transmissive - it blocks the light that shouldn't come through, it doesn't generate light itself. An LED screen only blocks about 95% at best, so even black allows some light through.)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87