Getting Rid of Touch WIz, Mobile ID and or Virgin Mobile's Essentials

WereWolves_Bite

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Out of frustration in dealing with my Galaxy ll update of Jelly Bean with it's menu of annoyances, specifically the mobile ID, the Virgin Mobile Essentials, and the Samsung touch wiz. I blundered on an unintentional fix for all three, a couple of nights ago. I cannot claim any special wisdom or knowledge about android phones. Just what anyone else would pick up here on android central or other possible places when they've got a problem. In any case this is the sequence of events.....if'n anyone is intrested.
Tired of having phone issues with the essentials and mobile Id package that came with the upgrade and then doing a fresh original manufactures install to clean them out, while still keeping the JellyBean update I previously received, I was initially thrilled. However, immediately upon my first reboot the crap came back with a vengence wanting me to install them even before my phone was finished loading the other programs. It stuck me odd they were in such a serious huffy to get this stuff loaded. So I just ignored the screen all to gether and hit the home icon down below, when the install screens appeared. It would disappear for about 20 seconds or so while the phone finished it boot up. And then I could feel the phone through it's vibrations attempting to do it's magic nasty again, and all the essentials and id stuff would come quickly back.This was an endless on going battle for over a month. Id hit the home key and it would disappear for a second , but would immediatetly come back. I could feel the phone going crazy in the back ground. To shorten this analog......After about 10+ times or so of having to hit the home button, I'd give up. Let it do it's little evil background connections, (it was obvious, it was trying to connect with a distance service and load stuff at the same time) But no matter what I did, it eventually would come back. And there was no options or anything in settings that would help. However, I got really really pissy about it few nights ago while shopping with my wife and decided to fight it out with them, and if I felled, just buy another phone. Even swore to my wife I'd never own another SamSung device ever! Anyways, upon restart I just started to hit the home button continueously (as the back button would do nothing to help). So back and forth we went at it for about twenty minutes or so, being careful never to touch the main screen at all. I just kept punching the home key every second or so, or when I could feel the phone attempting to load or connect through it's vibration. At times it appeared the screen had locked up. But I just kept at it. I probaly hit that home key near a couple hundred times. Suddenly for no particular reason, a big black warning appeared on the screen from SamSung stating something to the effect that I was in danger of death if'n I proceeded "something or another". ( I was way to pissed to read it at the time). At the bottom of the warning it had an "accept" box. And No way,... was I touching that screen. I'd seen malware do through this very same thing on home computers. Anyways I hit the home key once again. This time everything changed. It was errily quiet. And no attempts to load or run anything else that I could see or feel. I quickly ran into my settings to put it airplane mode. Glancing briefly through my settings however, I'd seen some changes and options that weren't there before. Various options for mobile ID, the essentials pack and touchwis were all there now. I wasted no time and turned off every thing that wasn't absolutely necassary for the basic phone to function. Along with a few other little adjustments here and there. So now, my at first very beautiful, then later extremely evil phone, is finally a blessing to behold, besides being much faster and clean as a whistle. Feels like I committed an exorcism. But looks and feels fantastic all the same.
Although why and how is mere speculation on my part. I believe SamSung could not have gotten this crap put on the phones in dealing with google and the android enterprise. Since Google looses control once the phone is sent to the carriers. SamSung has, it appears paid a crapload of money to the carriers to allow them to put this on there. They can't really touch the true android interface so they force their code downs the phones throat as a shell as quickly as possible. When it finds it can't talk to it's servers through whatever reason, they apparently conceed to giving you a stern warning of death or whatever it is and give up on it trying to install this crap althogether. At least for the moment. As I have no doubt they are working right now to find a work around for even this little drama. Intrestingly, I've recently read where SamSung is in a really big hurry to hire programmers to write code for their idea of an O.S. or maybe just another attempt at a better rape mechanizism on android. In either case, it seems that all the big boys want to follow up on APPLE dream to have their own the hardware and ITUNES, that one ring to control 'em all. I suppose like our government. No matter how much you feed them, they always want more..... more money..... more power, and ......more control. Hope this little drama helps some one else out there somewhere.....Please add to this little writ or change it to make it more viewable to the members here, as I'm afraid I'm not the best of writers............Thanks and Tiddles !

Last edited:

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Those UIs are features, not bugs.

Seriously, manufacturers create those skins because they add functionality that people want. Not everyone is an Android purist who measures lag in milliseconds, the average consumer LIKES s-voice and touchless page turning and all those other things we turn our noses up at here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

WereWolves_Bite

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey, Gone down South, Thanks for the input. Of course, you are right as rain. Wish, my experience with this phone had been as you've said. I'm still not for sure why it all became a mess for me. Perhaps, my patience isn't as polished as I'd like to believe. In any case, glad to hear your phone and you are getting along well. Looks like the mobile force is strong with you.....................Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress