What do you want in Android KitKat?

HawaiiR

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: What do you want in Key Lime Pie?

Has no-one requested a time-travel feature yet?
;)

On a more serious note, I noticed that I can't click phone numbers on my email. Was this always the case? And if so, they should fix this problem with the next android iteration.
And, while this is an issue bigger than android - it would be nice to have some standardization set for compatibility with external devices. At the moment it seems like, for example, apple has a rather large range of iphones/ipod compatible desktop audio systems. Android phones, however, do not. I think there's Panasonic and maybe on or two other lesser known brands, but the better brands like Bang & Olufsen, Bowers & Wilkens, Onkyo, etc all have some rather nice audio systems compatible with the iPhone/iPod.

Last edited:

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

Everyone wants such major things. All I want is an undo option.

Other than that, better select/cut/copy/paste would be good and a more consistent android experience (like the back button function). When I use my iPod touch, I don't worry about how the keyboard will work when I'm in Facebook vs my personal email vs my work email vs a forum or the note app. It's the same experience everywhere. Things like the keyboard or time-date selection or navigation should be the same no matter what you are doing. It shouldn't be up to each developer to reinvent the wheel.

I also would like the app info option to be available when I select an app on my home screens instead of having to scroll through the app manager. Oh, and more than five home screens. Widgets take up space!

Michael Morris2

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site

Love the guest mode Idea, I?d say allow the guest user to make a call (no access to contacts) view current location/maps and maybe turn on/off wifi and Bluetooth, it can kindof merge with what what the lockscreen widgets do. Good idea, but at the same time can?t remember the last time I lent someone my phone.

cpackar

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site

- I feel sometimes I need the multiple window support.
- An update for all devices that require it to update something like iMessage, so anyone on any recent android device can see if they're typing or if they sent their message or not.
- Free drawing on the the gallery edit.
- Have the ability to crop any size wide or tall, not the shape of the picture but smaller.
- Hold back to kill app
- Have the Ability to uninstall any unnecessary apps

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

Obviously all the generic stuff everyone else wants: faster, better on battery blah blah.
- Ditch the holo theme. It's been nice while it lasted, but it now looks Google has been going with a simple, white card looking system. I personally think it looks more modern and better. I'd like Google to peruse that, as right now, it's a bit of a mish-mash with some sections blue then some apps all new card looking themes.
- For whatever reason when i type i, it's always little case i and not capital i like it should be. More keyboard improvements.

Better battery is always a good thing.

Unfortunately, most apps still do not use the Holo theme. So that may not work.

I'm not having too many problems with the keyboard other than having to add lots of common words that I would have normally thought would be stored already in the phone's dictionary. Like Chromebook, apps, bloatware, bootloader, dock, etcetera.

After switching back to the stock launcher for a little bit, I feel it needs a lot of work.
4. Need to be able to uninstall apps directly by long pressing it on the home screen.
5. stock keyboard needs improvement with swiping
7. lock screen needs improvement (should allow you to place favorite apps on that giant circle so you can get to them quicker.

Instead of long pressing, it should just be a double tap, kind of like ADW.

Swiping definitely needs some improvements.

Lockscreen widgets in 4.2.x is slightly different, but still has lots of room for improvements.

-I would like to be able to control the volume of the ringtone and notification separately (Now my phone rings freaking loud but my notification is very low)
-Possibility to make a "backup" in play store for what apps to be installed after factory reset (the most important apps) (Yes, titanium backup and other exist, but would like to have a stock built in function)

-LED control built in the OS (With different colors)

-As SHADMOS said: "Swiping notification marks email as read."

You can somewhat do this with the volume controls in 4.2.1-4.2.2 with the tablets. But the phones should definitely have this option.

Backups/syncing of all your apps should have been implemented in ICS. I can say it is getting to be a hassle trying to sync world saves in Minecraft Pocket Edition across multiple devices, having to use third party apps like Dropbox to do so.

LED control would certainly be a plus.

I can't say how many times I wish I didn't have to swipe away a notification just to have to open up my email to mark it read.

Cool whip.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I don't get it...

I'd also like them to clean up the lockscreen a bit. The way they did widgets seems a bit tacky.
Option to initiate voice as soon as you activate Google Now by swiping up from Home button instead of bringing up Google Now cards and having to either say "Google" or taping the microphone button.

Default video chat app like FaceTime but cross platform. Obviously if released on iOS, users would have to install it on their iDevices, but it should come default on Android devices.

Same thing for a messaging app. Get rid of G+ Messenger and Google Talk. Merge into one that integrates with the texting app. And integrate Google Voice too.

As I said before, the lockscreen in 4.2 had lots of room for improvement.

Initiating voice would hide the cards that are there for your benefit. You get more information faster the way it is now.

I think with the video chat, you are referring to Hangouts, which, as long as you have G+, shouldn't be an issue.

I do agree that there should be a more streamlined messaging app.

- I feel sometimes I need the multiple window support.
- Hold back to kill app

I think the multi-window support is for Samsung devices only. Not sure if they have a patent on it or not.

Holding back would definitely make it easier to close apps quickly.

Those are just my thoughts.

Sent from my Nexus 4/Nexus 7

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site

I'd like to see the operating system become more customizable. There is no single best OS. There is only an individuals preference. I'd like to see Android encompass the degree of customization as all of the home replacement apps combined.

I'd also like to see the Google now menu to be opened for modding so that we can add our own cards, change it's appearance, create our own voice commands, and change how it launches. Google is a brilliant company but nothing is as brilliant as a market constantly competing for improvement. As those improvements are found then Google can implement then into the stock system.

Was that too ambitious?

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

MORE COWBELL.

And words that save to the texting dictionary without 3 f*ing clicks! 1 click would be nice!

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

I'd like to see the operating system become more customizable. There is no single best OS. There is only an individuals preference. I'd like to see Android encompass the degree of customization as all of the home replacement apps combined.

I'd also like to see the Google now menu to be opened for modding so that we can add our own cards, change it's appearance, create our own voice commands, and change how it launches. Google is a brilliant company but nothing is as brilliant as a market constantly competing for improvement. As those improvements are found then Google can implement then into the stock system.

Was that too ambitious?

I think they need to curate Now without mods for another version. I'd love to see Google continue to crush Siri before they open it up to customization.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

Option to initiate voice as soon as you activate Google Now by swiping up from Home button instead of bringing up Google Now cards and having to either say "Google" or taping the microphone button.

You don't have to follow all those steps now. Just press the mic in the search bar and it goes right there.

Initiating voice would hide the cards that are there for your benefit. You get more information faster the way it is now.

That's very "you don't know what's best for you so it has to be done this way for your own good". Do you work for Apple?

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I think they need to curate Now without mods for another version. I'd love to see Google continue to crush Siri before they open it up to customization.
they are doing it every month. last Now update brought a lot of features.

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

You don't have to follow all those steps now. Just press the mic in the search bar and it goes right there.

That's very "you don't know what's best for you so it has to be done this way for your own good". Do you work for Apple?

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

What I meant is what you just said with the mic in the search bar. Lol, I would hate working for Apple.

anon(20500)

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Two biggest things for me are improving dramatically the lock screen widget functionality and battery life. Managing notification settings should be consistent as well

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

What I meant is what you just said with the mic in the search bar. Lol, I would hate working for Apple.

He he! We need some Android people to infiltrate the mind control!

SOLGarion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

I don't get it...

Key lime pie...cool whip...

I want to walk into my office in the morning to a desk with no laptop or desktop, only a big monitor (cordless except for power) and cordless keyboard and mouse. I want to set my Nexus X on the wireless charging orb and have it automatically take over all these peripherals with a desktop environment.

In other words, I want my phone to be a replacement for everything else. And whenever I go to someone else's office or house, I set my phone on the orb and away we go...

Ok - maybe this is Android 6.0? :)

As I mentioned before I think Ubuntu might do a lot of this. And now you will be able to try it out. See if it will or not.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/15/touch-based-ubuntu-preview-coming-february-21st/

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

Key lime pie...cool whip...

God, thank you! And I usually get food jokes.

kalocin

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

- support for "Guest mode". You know, when you let someone make a call with your phone but you don't want him to read your texts ...

I dub that "Tiger mode".

I'm not sure what I want in key lime pie, I'm still waiting on my first Android phone (Nexus 4).

Mayoo614

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

Above everything else, what I really want right now is data sharing between devices. It just sucks to have difference settings/game saves depending on the device. It's not all game developers who put up a server to have centralized data.

Also, battery improvements, notification of google products (talk, messenger, etc.), SMS sharing between devices (like GNex <--> N10), performance profiles.

And I am dreaming, and it's not related to the version but : Unlocking all apps in Canada (Music, Wallet, Voice), really use NFC (again unlock Wallet dammit), release the damn accessories for the devices you make (GNex's pogo dock is 90$, nowhere to see N10 smart cover and pogo dock), give a big finger to Samsung for trying to take over Android, stop stupid bloatware, kill Apple for being jackasses (they make a great product but they suck at being human and caring).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa