about that image floating around about the supposed dialer and messages app.....

david7598

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
im sure alot of you have seen the image that im talking about.....and some people are saying it could just be a theme.....well my chrome browser updated tonight.....and i go to click on the notifications button and i see the same image thats in the messages app.....i just thought it was ironic......

(the image floating around the net)
kit-kat1.jpg

(my screen cap of the notifications button on google chrome)
Capture.PNG

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
im sure alot of you have seen the image that im talking about.....and some people are saying it could just be a theme.....well my chrome browser updated tonight.....and i go to click on the notifications button and i see the same image thats in the messages app.....i just thought it was ironic......
The more I look at them (besides the notification bar) the more I probably wouldn't mind them being a theme. Haha.
Yep. Thats Mr. Jingles was it? He's the mascot for Google+ Notifications, so what your seeing is real. The image, have I think pretty much been confirmed fake, atleast until the announcement. Some of the reasoning is Mr. Jingles dosen't belong in the messaging app.

(the image floating around the net)
View attachment 83120

(my screen cap of the notifications button on google chrome)
View attachment 83121

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
What about the thing about Google Voice and hangouts merging? I predict that Hangouts and Messaging are planning a merge. In a way Just like iMessage. I also am predicting that you can either use your carrier number or a Google Number. Didn't Google say the Hangouts service is designed to be the future of Messaging?

Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Hangouts and Messaging I can see, that makes sense. In fact it's overdue. I don't see Google Voice being mandatory though.

Yes, Google has been working on expanding their Google+ and Hangouts system. I don't see Google voice being mandatory either, I see it as "hey, we can give you a second number other than your carrier number". But I don't think carriers will like like that, not sure.

To contradict myself, on the leaked image of the launcher, it shows messages and hangouts as separate icons. Either Google wasn't quite finished on this or all this is bringing us is just more universal icons.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Google has been working on expanding their Google+ and Hangouts system. I don't see Google voice being mandatory either, I see it as "hey, we can give you a second number other than your carrier number". But I don't think carriers will like like that, not sure.

To contradict myself, on the leaked image of the launcher, it shows messages and hangouts as separate icons. Either Google wasn't quite finished on this or all this is bringing us is just more universal icons.

G Voice doesn't have to be mandatory but I don't see how it would be very hard to integrate into Hangouts. I mean, you just add a GV number in settings and "intercept" messages/voicemail going to this service.

I hope they do it because I'm getting tired of using all 3 on my phone (SMS, GV, Hangouts)

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
As much as I hate to contribute to the rumor mill, the whole Hangouts-Google-Voice thing is something I can't stay away from. One of the Android Police guys has been posting 'inside rumor' type of stuff on Google+ to feed the hunger for such info, so take it with the requisite grain of salt. One can only hope:

Rumor #3. This is something a lot of people have been waiting for. The version of Hangouts that's being tested with KitKat takes over the Messaging app and handles SMS. In fact, the Messaging app is gone and is fully replaced by Hangouts, at least on the Nexus device that was being tested. It should be able to handle MMS as well.

Additionally, Hangouts will now let you send videos instead of just images.