Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sicily1918
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Phone won't boot past "Samsung"

After updating my firmware, my phone rebooted. After it rebooted, my screen was black. It was on, but nothing would show on the screen beyond the top bar. Frustrated I turned off my phone, and since then it's been unable to move beyond the "Samsung". I've been at it for over an hour to no avail. It was fully charged before the update, and was charging throughout. I have tried many different things in order to get it to start, but nothing has worked. I have had no problems leading up to this update. Any suggestions? (Also, this was not a virus, because all of my other Android-using friends have gotten it...and many have faced a number of problems as well.) --Samsung Galaxy S3 user

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.4.2

Default Re: Phone won't boot past "Samsung"

Given that you've an S3 and those phones haven't been officially updated to KitKat yet, I'm going to guess you installed a custom ROM, ran the 'normal' Sammy OTA update, or sideloaded an incorrect image file onto your phone -- in any case, you're going to have to give us a whole lot more information.

Try booting into recovery and clearing the Cache (maybe the Dalvik as well, if you have a custom recovery) -- that may fix you up.

If that don't work:
    1. What model number of S3 do you have (T999, I535, etc)?
      • Alternately, what carrier are you on?

2. Custom Recovery and version?
    3. Custom ROM and version?

The good news is that it doesn't appear that you've hard-bricked the phone, so you should be able to boot to ODIN and install a fresh OS (last resort, but it's good to know it's available to you).
    Nexus4 - Stock 4.4.2
    Nexus7 - Stock 4.4.2
    SGH-T989 - CM10.2
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Odin

There are many different version of the S3, use the right one for your model.

Global Posts
    13,913 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by raygun95 View Post
    After updating my firmware, my phone rebooted. After it rebooted, my screen was black. It was on, but nothing would show on the screen beyond the top bar. Frustrated I turned off my phone, and since then it's been unable to move beyond the "Samsung". I've been at it for over an hour to no avail. It was fully charged before the update, and was charging throughout. I have tried many different things in order to get it to start, but nothing has worked. I have had no problems leading up to this update. Any suggestions? (Also, this was not a virus, because all of my other Android-using friends have gotten it...and many have faced a number of problems as well.) --Samsung Galaxy S3 user
    Rebooting into recovery and wiping cache may help as well.
    [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here