Android 6.0 Marshmallow Good or bad ?

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't go back, everything is more polished. I love doze, and find the little things not announced are the best parts.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I can say that this is, by far, the best running phone I've owned. Everything is smooth... the new features add in a lot and kind of smooth some of the edges that even 5.1.1 had. And I am not sure what stuff Google did between the final Preview and the release, but my battery performance has increased quite a lot. And its not just Doze working when the phone is idle (which was noticeable in the Previews), I've seen a reduction in how much power it uses when active as well... this last bit is new to the final build. Looking at some power tools I use, the active drain (power usage with the screen on) has gone down a good 15% as well.

I am a 'charge early/charge often kind of person', so I never run it down to the stops... but if I went straight through for 24 hours, I'd get over 7 hours of screen time before I would run out of steam.... I've gained a good 90 minutes, at least. I mean, on 5.1.1, if I took it off the charger and just powered through without turning it off once, I'd hit around 6 hours before it would be warning me that it would be about to turn off. Going off what I am seeing now, I can blow past that mark and mix in a good 18 hours of idle time in as well.

That isn't just ancedotal, that's a HUGE difference.

Screenshot_20151019-063151.png

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I love 6.0. Battery life standby time is excellent. Calls on voLTE no longer sound scratchy and are clear. Mobile signal is also stronger as I connect to Band 12 when outside with no more annoying drops to HSPA which means music does not buffer.

5.0 Lollipop was such a disaster that Google had to call Marshmallow 6.0 not 5.2

yeongil

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Marshmallow seems to work well for me. I have a Nexus 5, and I used to have KitKat (4.4.4) on it. Battery life was getting worse at the end, even after applying the various tweaks (like changing screen brightness, turn off Location, use 3G instead of LTE, etc.). After wiping and flashing to Marshmallow, I applied the same tweaks, except for 2: Location was kept at "Device Only," and LTE was on. Despite that, it feels like battery life has improved. We'll see as I keep using Marshmallow on my Nexus 5.

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
As my phone spends a lot of time sitting in my locker at work I've noticed a HUGE difference with the battery life. It's better in day to day normal usage too but that is so striking.
I used to take a power bank to work so it wouldn't be flat by 8.30pm. I don't need to now. It's lasting easily.

Posted via the Android Central App

m3rt32

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I think,this year google folks not worked well.This version not deserves to be a major release "6.0".Because its not comes with a revolutionary feature.And my n5 is laggy with marshmallow :|

btroberts011

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 5 here that has 6.0. It does not work right yet and needs some major tweaking. Updated about a week ago and haven't been able to get on WiFi since. When it isn't constantly rebooting it's alright.

Posted via the Android Central App

WHHarrison49

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I received 6.0 update fairly soon after release. Battery consumption is better, as are a few other minor features. I have one VERY big complaint. The new App Permissions has been nothing but a piece of garbage for me. Two specific issues, with Google apps, best explain the problem.

1. When I added my first calendar event to Google Calendar I denied access to Location services. I've been unable to turn it back on as I get the wonderful :mad: endless loop (Screen overlay detected, go to Draw over other apps and Calendar is not displayed). No matter which app I "turn off screen overlay for" allows me to re-enable location services for Google Calendar.
2. When I try and open a *.Doc file with Google Docs I get "Allow Docs to access photos, media and files on your device?" and again I get into this maddening endless loop where I "Screen overlay detected" and when follow link to "Draw over other apps" there is no Google Docs app listed, nor any other app listed that I can "turn off the screen overlay from Settings > Apps".

Very frustrating. I've even call Nexus 5 help to see if there is some way to gracefully revert back to Lollipop. Yes I know I can image my phone but I'm not keen on that approach.

If I could uninstall the apps it might reset permissions and let me do what I want. As it is I'm now installed 3rd party apps because Google's products are becoming a real pain.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
It still doesn't have night mode/dark theme. Ability to use memory card as internal storage is great feature but does it even work? Has anyone tried it?

Kathryn Joseph

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Marshmallow upgrade is horrible and ruined some of the best features on the phone. One can no longer swipe an email to delete from inbox or trash. Must hold down and click delete , one at a time. If you have 200 emails in a morning, spend hours doing that.
Next must swipe to open device THEN put in passcode. No way to remove the swipe first even though there is no usefulness to it.
Then the quick icons when dropping the top of the screen are in pale gray and pale blue, hard to distinguish which are active or not. Before the colors were bright and it was clear what to turn on or off, without wearing glasses or squinting.
No way to reverse these changes. Might as well get an iPhone afterall.