Android System/Android OS battery usage?

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Now I know this is a preview and things aren't quite finished yet, but ever since 2 weeks after installing Preview 3, Android System and Android OS are always on top of my battery usage. After restarting and clearing the caches, these two are usually lower down and battery life is MUCH better for a day, and then it goes back to the way it was. Thoughts?
0c5590db8b8879d601754ead2d4c94f2.jpg

Vikas Dhar

May 28, 2016
Visit site
My new Glaxy s7 has been on for 2 hours and its battery is down from 100% to 55%. I switched to this from the S4 because I wanted 24 hours of battery life. At this rate, I may get 4 hours out of it. I Hope.......

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
My new Glaxy s7 has been on for 2 hours and its battery is down from 100% to 55%. I switched to this from the S4 because I wanted 24 hours of battery life. At this rate, I may get 4 hours out of it. I Hope.......

You were able to get the N preview on your S7? Are you rooted?

Sent via the Communications Center of the Trigati

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 5x with beta 3 and beta 4 is doing fine. My phone has been on for nine hours and my battery registers 86% with my biggest power user being the screen.

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Looks like Android N may be worse for battery performance than Android M, and that's pretty bad. This is the exact reason I no longer get excited about Android OS updates. Marshmallow has some neat features, but I'd go back to Lollipop just to have my battery performance back.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about that. Signal seems to be better for me. On Fi, but so far the doze feature seems to be spot on.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 30334.jpg
    30334.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 134

Yosef Elgart

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
i think first layer of Nougat doze not kicks in developers preview if you checking phone evry few minutes
i also noticed that grennefy agrasive doze not working

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Actually I thought the extreme doze feature started working within a minute or so after the phones screen was turned off. It saves enormous amounts of battery power!

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Looks like Android N may be worse for battery performance than Android M, and that's pretty bad. This is the exact reason I no longer get excited about Android OS updates. Marshmallow has some neat features, but I'd go back to Lollipop just to have my battery performance back.

I don't think I'd say that. Only my old Moto G3 I'd get 2.5 hours SOT but after MM I'd get like 4. I'm on a G⁴ Plus now because my G3 killed itself but you win woke you lose some

Posted with a Moto G⁴ Plus

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
If you don't give the phone the time to enable Doze (it doesn't kick in instantly) then standby time will be just as bad as when Doze didn't exist. If you're someone who obsessively checks their phone (nothing to be ashamed about, even I do it sometimes) then your standby time won't be too great.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
HTC messed up lollipop for one m8 I still want to go back to KitKat lol even though Marshmallow is ok...

Vivaxha

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I thought they were gonna fix the battery drain with the new Nougat, but it seems it's still there. Android System usage sometimes hits 82% at my Lollipop, it's at least about 15% here, still at the top, tho..

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Looks like Android N may be worse for battery performance than Android M, and that's pretty bad.

Blame your OEM, not Android. I had a nexus 6, and N (early builds) did better than M, which in turn did better than L... Both my 5X and 6P slow marked improvement in battery consumption on DP5 over the current M builds.... Mostly due to modest idle drain improvements with the updated Doze.

As for the issues here, every phone runs under different conditions so I can't really come to any conclusion. But I'm not seeing the drain problems on either phone I have running N, so I can only assume there's something going on specific to these phones/usage.

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Blame your OEM, not Android. I had a nexus 6, and N (early builds) did better than M, which in turn did better than L... Both my 5X and 6P slow marked improvement in battery consumption on DP5 over the current M builds.... Mostly due to modest idle drain improvements with the updated Doze.

As for the issues here, every phone runs under different conditions so I can't really come to any conclusion. But I'm not seeing the drain problems on either phone I have running N, so I can only assume there's something going on specific to these phones/usage.
Android or OEM is irrelevant! If an upgrade causes issues that's all you look at. Every manufacturers OEM is different and that's the issue that they don't all gel well when it comes to Android updates. Hence why my next Android will probably be stock.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Android or OEM is irrelevant! If an upgrade causes issues that's all you look at. Every manufacturers OEM is different and that's the issue that they don't all gel well when it comes to Android updates. Hence why my next Android will probably be stock.
Mine too. I have a HTC one M8 and love it but if the next nexus is as good had the Nexus 6P I'm getting it. I just don't like screens bigger than 5 inch. Will we have a option with a smaller screen again?
Cheers

pwtuxer

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried disabling animations?

I just upgraded a few days ago from Marshmallow, and have had battery life problems, with what seems like unusually high battery usage by Android System and Android OS -- about 2/3 as bad as the OP reports, and enough to make it difficult to get through a full day on one battery charge.

First I tried the suggestions of disabling Ambient Display and Adaptive Brightness, and revoking Body Sensor permissions from Google Play services as I found suggested elsewhere, and still had trouble.

I tried clearing the cache (both the easy steps in Settings > Storage and clearing the partition from the device Recovery mode), but still had trouble.

Last night I disabled animations (enabled Developer Mode, changed all the animation scale settings to No Animations). With Ambient Display and Adaptive Brightness still disabled, it looks like I have much lower battery drain now. It's too early to declare victory, but I am finally encouraged that Nougat might fare better than Marshmallow. It's a bit of a shame, as the OS feels more harsh with no animations, but I can live with this. I hope I'll be able to re-enable Adaptive Brightness, as I do miss that when using my phone outdoors.

-Peter

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Interesting find I saw with my 6p running N7.0. After some time after the update, I started noticing wake-lock as the awake bar was solid on. As I heard on other forums, I turned Bluetooth off, and magically the phone started Dozing correctly. So it seems that there may be something going on with Bluetooth an Android OS / System that is causing battery drain, at least on my phone.... It's a bummer because I use a smartwatch, so I have to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't go into the wake-lock again. But a simple toggle of Bluetooth OFF/ON seems to have fixed it for now.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codex_umbra