New to Android: Music Issues

anon(8648115)

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Good evening, all,

So, coming from both iOS and Windows, I figured it was high time to get into Android. Got myself a brand new HTC 10 in Camelia Red and its absolutely gorgeous. I was assured by my friends that the transition would be seamless... and it was.

Until it came time to put music on the phone.

I was not aware that Android, of all OSes, was incapable of rendering half my music because of the m4a format. Can Android seriously not read this file format? Hell, even Windows 10 Mobile can without issues. If the answer lies in converting gigabytes of music to mp3 or downloading some weird app, then this will be a huge dealbreaker for me.

Any solutions to this? Thanks!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Good evening, all,

So, coming from both iOS and Windows, I figured it was high time to get into Android. Got myself a brand new HTC 10 in Camelia Red and its absolutely gorgeous. I was assured by my friends that the transition would be seamless... and it was.

I was not aware that Android, of all OSes, was incapable of rendering half my music because of the m4a format. Can Android seriously not read this file format? Hell, even Windows 10 Mobile can without issues. If the answer lies in converting gigabytes of music to mp3 or downloading some weird app, then this will be a huge dealbreaker for me.

Easiest solution for me would be to upload all of the music to Google Play Music.

These M4A files, they're not protected, are they?

anon(8648115)

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Some I bought from itunes, some I didn't. However, why would I upload and stream them when I could just have them on my SD card? Unless there's something else involved?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Some I bought from itunes, some I didn't. However, why would I upload and stream them when I could just have them on my SD card? Unless there's something else involved?
Do these files still have DRM?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Good evening, all,

Oh and what music player were you using?

anon(8648115)

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
First just the default google play. Then I tried another music player which actually found the songs, but when trying to play them, would get an error.

And not all files have DRM. Some do, probably the minority.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Would you consider trying Poweramp? It's very popular and it supports m4a files. It does cost $3.99 after the 15-days free trial.

Poweramp is good, but it hasn't been updated in a while. My current favorite is GoneMAD player. Plays all the formats and has a ton of options. I may switch back to Poweramp if there are signs of life with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress