Web browser feature wanted, choose mobile or not on the fly

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
When will there be a browser for Android and other mobiles that has a feature where the user can choose the normal version of a site OR the mobile version (if there is one) on a per-link basis?

They way they all are, you have to choose ONE identifier for your browser that's used for ALL sites. If there's a few sites where the mobile version is totally junk, you have to set the browser to NOT identify itself as anything mobile to avoid being forcibly redirected to those mobile sites.

Then you *might* be able to bookmark or manually enter the URLs to mobile sites you want to use, but some sites force redirect the other way to the regular version if a mobile browser is *not* detected.

One place where all this forced redirection is especially nasty is with search results. You Google something and you want to go to what's been found BUT the site has a mobile version, detects you're using Dolphin on Android and Zing-Kapow-Blam you're shunted directly to the *main page of the mobile site* do not pass GO, do not collect $200 and you'll never be able to find from there what you tapped on in the Google, Yahoo, Ask, Bing etc. search results.

What browsers NEED is when the user taps and holds a link is to ASK THE USER IF THE USER WISHES TO GO TO THE MOBILE SITE OR THE NORMAL SITE! Ignore the @#%%@#@#%^ force redirects and do what the person poking at the screen wants done.

So what I have to do to work around all this "helpful" automatic garbage is set Dolphin HD to identify itself as "desktop" and use the Google "Internet" browser bundled with my phone for mobile sites that want to kick Dolphin over to their regular versions.

If I come across as angry over this it's because I am! I've been working with computers for 28 years and people keep coming up with dumb ideas and those dumb ideas too often become the accepted way. In my not humble at all opinion, the USER IS IN CHARGE. The computer is supposed to be a tool for the user to do what the user wants. Ie, I will check my mail when *I* want, not when the mail app wants. I will go to the version of websites that *I* want. I will search for *exactly what I typed in the box*, without any second guessing from the search site. All those and more need someone to provide a way to get rid of for those of us who have no need of such "help".

Software that not only tries to out-think the user but goes even further to not allow the user any choice but what the software author wrote it to do is extremely annoying.

Polish Prince

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Dolphin browser has the feature of viewing any webside in a google mobile sure.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk. Round stinka lardum bardle doo.

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Explain how please. How can I have it set the way I want, so I can go to the mobile sites I want, and *not* automatically be forced to mobile sites I *do not want*?

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
IIRC xScope allows you to set the user agent per site. Not sure of any browsers that allow you to do so per link though.

I've been working with computers for 28 years and people keep coming up with dumb ideas and those dumb ideas too often become the accepted way. In my not humble at all opinion, the USER IS IN CHARGE.
With 28 years under your belt you should be well aware that you can't put the user fully in charge in every possible situation. Compromises have to be made. Development resources are never infinite. Dumb (and useful) is highly subjective.

SnyperX

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Some form of XScope browser is the Amazon app of the day, may be worth grabbing to test since it is free, normally 99 cents it says.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer