Super cool things of the unknown!

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
So I love technology, and am especially interested in mobile technology. So here we go. What kind of things can you do with an Android that are super cool that people may not know about? Cool things you see in the movies that actors are doing with mobile technology (spies, police, government, etc.), can you actually do any of those things? Apps, are there any super cool apps that people may not know about that do super cool things? Things in the feature, are there things in the feature that will do things people will only dream about? THANKS! Hopefully this will spark some super geek discussion! :cool:

Laughingcat

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Polish Prince.

Are you required to have a newer Nexus phone for reading the RFID chip in an animal?

What additional equipment would be required.... A Bluetooth headset? Or a reader head?

Polish Prince

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
My post was a little white lie. It does not work.

But, I remember the day I got my Nexus, my wife was laughing so hard watching me trying to scan my dogs with my new phone. I didn't really know what NFC was, so I just assumed it was similar to what my veterinarian uses. I thought I would get some kind of reading on my phone by scanning Otis & Vinny.

I only made the post above to have a little fun & see if anyone else besides me would try to scan their dogs.

It was done all in good fun.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using TapaTalk. Kay pof shinum wif a bardle doo.

Laughingcat

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
The idea may not be that farfetched Polish Prince.

After reading your post I started looking into how it might actually be possible with a smartphone.

It appears that the first thing that would be required would be a BlueTooth dongle or corded BlueTooth head piece connected to the USB port.

There are three different reading formats that all the major services use. NFC which is used primarily to read smart cards would need to be operated at a higher frequency and power. and it appears that by using the radio in BlueTooth could work just as easily.

This is an App that I would definitely pay for if it was available...... I live in the country and seem to be the designated drop off point for abandoned animals. Each use of such a device would save me $20 bucks a pop for these 'Lost' animals.

If NFC can read my passport, surely NFC or RFID could read an implant.

And, yes I too looked like an idiot chasing my animals around trying to get a read with several different NFC and RFID Apps. :D

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The canine implants are RFID devices. AFAIK, there's no RFID reader in any Android phone. (No, you can't use the Bluetooth radio to read RFIDs - different frequencies.)

MojaveHigh

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I posted this elsewhere, but I want a "Google Sky for aircraft" and a "Google Sky for satellites".

I live under the flight path of planes coming from the north landing in San Diego, I want to know what flights these are and where they're coming from just by pointing my camera phone at them and getting an overlay.

Similarly, I want to be able to point my phone at the sky and get dots showing the satellites that are currently passing overhead. I use another app that lets me know when the Space Station and others will pass overhead and watched a couple last night, but then happened to spot a third that I didn't know about. I want an app that tells me what that was.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I posted this elsewhere, but I want a "Google Sky for aircraft" and a "Google Sky for satellites".

I live under the flight path of planes coming from the north landing in San Diego, I want to know what flights these are and where they're coming from just by pointing my camera phone at them and getting an overlay.

Similarly, I want to be able to point my phone at the sky and get dots showing the satellites that are currently passing overhead. I use another app that lets me know when the Space Station and others will pass overhead and watched a couple last night, but then happened to spot a third that I didn't know about. I want an app that tells me what that was.

For satellites, try Satellite AR (FREE): https://market.android.com/details?id=com.agi.android.augmentedreality

For planes,try the pro version ($2.50) of Flightrader24: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.flightradar24pro&hl=en

I have not used either, so can not vouch for them, but the reviews seem to be good.

joncat84

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I was reading about tasker profiles for android and some guy set one up to spy. What he could do was put his phone next to people, then he would text message his phone from a different number and the text would make the phone automatically switch the phone to silent and then have the phone expect a phone call for 30 seconds. He would then call the phone and the phone would auto answer, turn off the screen and auto go into speakerphone mode so he could hear what the people were talking about. Lol what he could have also done was set the phone to record what they said while he listened. Tasker is great.