Oem sms and sms popup

japclev

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I use standard messaging app with SMS Popup. When I get a PopUp and delete, close, reply, etc....how do I get the standard messaging app to not show a 1 new message bubble?

Also, when I use SMS Pop, the standard messaging thread doesn't add incoming messages?

Am I up the creek with these two apps?

Yes, I have tried Handcent/Chomp...any other ones I am missing?

Thanks,

handbra#AC

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem with sms pop-up. I don't like chomp or handcent. I really wish I could get rid of the bubble on the icon. Everything else is exactly how I want it.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
If I understand correctly, you want to turn off notifications in the stock messaging app. While in the stock sms app press Menu > Settings > Un-check notifications

CallerHoller

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I've always had the OEM notifications turned off, so I've never seen what you're describing. As soon as I hit send on the Popup the message icon in the notification bar disappears.

Handbra, I don't know what the bubble on the icon means. Maybe you guys issues have to with your UI. What phones and UI's do you have. I have a Moto Droid w/no User Interface. (Cupcake, blur..)

handbra#AC

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The bubble is a green circle on the HTC Sense Messages icon. I have an incredible. The notifications are turned off. It only clears this unread count if you go all the way into the thread, even though the thread is marked as read.

chrismartel0817

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
yeah i have this same issue with this app which is enough of a nuisance for me to not use it i think.

I actually like the stock htc sms app but i want popups.

I was using Handcent but then noticed some texts werent going to the app but were going to the stock app. And when i texted some people i would see the text history in handcent but the thread wouldnt show up on the main screen in handcent.

japclev

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I will give it a try.

Update:

This still happens:
The notifications are turned off. It only clears this unread count if you go all the way into the thread, even though the thread is marked as read.

stacyadell

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
in the Additional Settings menu under sms ppoup if scroll down to Other do you have Mark Read checked? I am trying to think waht else it coudl be because I too prefer the stalk text messaging over handcent and chomp but like the popups so use popup sms. The biggest difference so far I have noticed in the update is that after I reboot my phone duplicate texts are no longer sent. You can also choose different icons for the notification bar too.

Bleezy

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Which one is better? I recently switched to Handcent SMS specifically for the pop-up notifications however, I do like the stock SMS. If you add the stock SMS pop up APP, does this work better then Handcent???

Wizzums#AC

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Which one is better? I recently switched to Handcent SMS specifically for the pop-up notifications however, I do like the stock SMS. If you add the stock SMS pop up APP, does this work better then Handcent???

There are things I like about both. It's been a while since I've used Handcent, but I liked how the notification box seemed smaller when you had most of the clutter disabled (voice input button, etc.) The quick response text was embedded in the pop up, so you just had to tap and start typing without anything additional popping up in the way.

SMS Popup seems to have larger pop up windows and no direct input without tapping a "Quick reply" button. I think the added height is because of the images being used for my contacts, which is always just the default Facebook profile photo. When you tap "Quick reply", it opens up a single line text field instead of a text box like I'd expect.

I DO like how customizable the three buttons are for SMS Popup, and how you can disable some entirely if you want to reduce clutter.

I also like how you can have it open the conversation directly from a button to reply rather than using "Quick reply", which is how I have mine setup. I can't recall if Handcent has this feature.

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Bumping a sort of old post, but a question for those who have used this for awhile. I have an epic, and am using this. The one thing I do not like is that it pops up even when you have the oem messenger open. Screen is off, (I also disabled the screen lock) I pop it on and have a popup over the messaging convo. Now i can just hit reply and poof it so its not a huge deal. Just want to see if that is how it works on all droids or if that is Epic specific (based on its relative newness. Thanks in advance.

stacyadell

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I dropped SMS Pop Up a while back and have gone with Handcent PopUps with stock messaging app disabled.

When you were using sms pop, did you have "close" set as one of your buttons? Pressing close is how the program marks your message read in the default message list (provided you have mark read checked under other in addtional settings) clicking quick reply or reply will not mark the message read, only clicking close on the pop will.

charles77k

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I have "close" set to mark message as read but the stock messaging icon still shows an unread count. that and when it pops up when the messaging app is already open are the only things that bugs me.

stacyadell

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Let me clarify.

In addition to having "close" set in the settings, to mark a message as read in the default text applicaiton you have to have "close" be a button option on the sms pop-up screen. You must then click close to dsimiss the popup, after that it will be marked as read in the deafult sms. Now what stinks is if you press "quick reply" or "reply" it will still be listed as not read in teh deafult sms app. Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress