Gapless playback of music from Google Play

Carkid367

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I had issues pre-KitKat on my Sprint Moto X, and ever since updating, I have gapless!!!!! YAY!!!! Andu suprisingly, I didn't change anything from what it was on before KitKat.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I had issues pre-KitKat on my Sprint Moto X, and ever since updating, I have gapless!!!!! YAY!!!! Andu suprisingly, I didn't change anything from what it was on before KitKat.

Not surprised, in the thread where the developer answered my question he did say the bug was "device specific", so I take that to mean gapless works on some devices without having to turn on the equalizer. Hopefully they get this sorted out for all devices. Sad that it doesn't work on the flagship Nexus without a workaround.

mutterman

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Greetings and happy new year to all! This is my very first post here. I did a search for gapless playback problems and found this forum. I got myself a Samsung S4 very recently - my first smartphone, no less - and was hoping to use it as my primary portable music player. Listening to FLAC files on Samsung's music player, I bumped into the gap problem. On reading the above insights about the Google player, I decided to give it a try and gapless playback is working perfectly! (Knock on wood.) Weird thing is that gapless playback works for me whether I have the Google equalizer on or off. It's just Samsung's player that won't do gapless. My Google player version is v5.3.1317M.940995 and my S4 is running Android 4.3, if anyone is keeping score. Anyway, a big thanks to mzanette for digging into this.

Oh, and here's another weird thing: gapless works fine on my NWZ-Z1050 Sony Walkman that runs Android 4.0.4. Android works in mysterious ways. Or Sony.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Greetings and happy new year to all! This is my very first post here. I did a search for gapless playback problems and found this forum. I got myself a Samsung S4 very recently - my first smartphone, no less - and was hoping to use it as my primary portable music player. Listening to FLAC files on Samsung's music player, I bumped into the gap problem. On reading the above insights about the Google player, I decided to give it a try and gapless playback is working perfectly! (Knock on wood.) Weird thing is that gapless playback works for me whether I have the Google equalizer on or off. It's just Samsung's player that won't do gapless. My Google player version is v5.3.1317M.940995 and my S4 is running Android 4.3, if anyone is keeping score. Anyway, a big thanks to mzanette for digging into this.

Oh, and here's another weird thing: gapless works fine on my NWZ-Z1050 Sony Walkman that runs Android 4.0.4. Android works in mysterious ways. Or Sony.

Great to hear you figured out a solution for yourself. Google Play music is finicky based on device you're using. It used to work gaplessly on my old Nexus 4 (and older version of Google play music), but now only works when I have the equalizer turned on for my Nexus 5. It's like google takes 1 step forward and 2 steps back with each new bug fix release. Hopefully the next iteration of google play music fixes this issue for all devices. Knock on wood.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
So any of you who are still complaining about this bug in version 5.4.1409N, there's a "send feedback" link right in the settings that let's you send Google and email about the app. I already sent and told them the gapless bug is still there (unless you turn on the equalizer). I urge everyone to send in reports complaining, maybe they'll get around to fixing it if enough people complain.

Tigermave

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if I'm just missing something or what, but even with the Equalizer on I'm still not getting gapless playback. It's less of a gap, but it's still there. I'm using a Galaxy S3... are there other settings I should be turning on/off? Anything with the cache?

Thanks for your help... I would hate to switch to Spotify.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if I'm just missing something or what, but even with the Equalizer on I'm still not getting gapless playback. It's less of a gap, but it's still there. I'm using a Galaxy S3... are there other settings I should be turning on/off? Anything with the cache?

Thanks for your help... I would hate to switch to Spotify.

I have these two options checked:

1H9EwmL.png

I'm not sure how it works/doesn't work on the S3. I know people have been reporting different behavior with different phones. I'm using a Nexus 5 and with those settings turned on (and the equaliser on) I can get gapless playback. Hope this helps.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Since i'm the keeper of this thread and it's biggest fan, just a short message to say I received a small Google Play Music update today, v5.4.1413N this version now fixes gapless playback without having to use the equalizer. Tested it on Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon", the Who's "Quadrophenia" and Tool's Lateralus (2 songs of Parabol and Parabola that play gaplessly). All is well, for now.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Sadly this update did not fix this problem for me and Google doesn't even return email responses. Horrible customer service. I am going to have to cancel them and go with Spotify or someone else. They are leaving me no choice here.

Posted via Android Central App

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Sadly this update did not fix this problem for me and Google doesn't even return email responses. Horrible customer service. I am going to have to cancel them and go with Spotify or someone else. They are leaving me no choice here.

What phone do you have? Forgot to mention I'm on a Nexus 5, I know different phones behave differently with this app.

cruisen

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I have the HTC ONE M7 and have been trying to gain gapless playback through the Google music app for months. I fell onto this thread and turned off beats audio and installed the app 'equaliser' and I had the option of equaliser shown in Google music. The gap has reduced but still present. I heard that if I was on the Google edition Rom I would have gapless but I'm not sure, if Nexus owners are also having issues.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
What phone do you have? Forgot to mention I'm on a Nexus 5, I know different phones behave differently with this app.

Moto X. And that right there shows the problem with however Google is doing things. Spotify doesn't have this issue. It works on my phone right. So why shouldn't Google Music too? If they can't make their own product work with their own OS, while other companies can, that's pretty incompetent.

deepysea

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
This infuriating problem is still not fixed for my Nexus 4 running 4.4.2. I don't know about earlier versions. I sent GPM feedback but of course haven't gotten any response.

craig0r

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone link me to an equaliser app that works for this issue? (preferably for the HTC One.) There are so many on the Play Store and I've come across a number that don't work.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
This infuriating problem is still not fixed for my Nexus 4 running 4.4.2. I don't know about earlier versions. I sent GPM feedback but of course haven't gotten any response.

They promised me a response in 48 hours and it's been 12 days. Worst service ever. Google is horrible in this regard and I do not understand why. Someone needs to be fired. They need better tech support management.

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've had this issue for ages with my HTC One (M7) - don't know how I missed this thread in my searches.

I believe the fact that all audio on the M7 is routed through the Beats Equaliser is what is breaking the gapless playback (as it'll be bypassing the stock Android audio API that allows for gapless playback). That's my theory anyway, as it does seem to work fine on the Google Play Edition version of the M7 (which doesn't have Beats software equaliser). There's no way of activating the Android stock equaliser on the M7 that I can see either.

No way I'm rooting it though and missing out on all the nice HTC rom touches.

I've reported it multiples times within the app but I'm not sure who's problem it is to fix - Google or HTC...

caseyjones024

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Since i'm the keeper of this thread and it's biggest fan, just a short message to say I received a small Google Play Music update today, v5.4.1413N this version now fixes gapless playback without having to use the equalizer. Tested it on Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon", the Who's "Quadrophenia" and Tool's Lateralus (2 songs of Parabol and Parabola that play gaplessly). All is well, for now.
Nicee

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty