Apps vs. Widgets

freeze

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to Android - so new that I don't even have it yet (just preordered an Epic 4G). What is the difference bewteen an App and a Widget?

Karnaj

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Widgets are mini apps that you can place on your "Desktops", that use the full Apps on the phone, to display information, like what the weather is, tweets as they come in. Android does have some built in stand alone widgets like picture frames that will display a photo in your library on the screen with a simple frame around it.

Karnaj

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
A widget is something that you can play on the screen of your phone that shows you some sort of information or function. There are numerous widgets available on the various android phones. There are weather widgets that can use the GPS on your phone. They give you the current weather conditions, forecasts etc. There are widgets that can give you news updates, act as switches for wifi, bluetooth, gps, and etc.

Those are a few things that come to mind off of the top of my head. Applications are various programs you can access, but aren't necessarily running in the background the entire time. the phone is powered on.

freeze

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
So widgets display/access specific pieces of information (like a Twitter feed, the weather, etc) on the home screen. An app does something in it's own addressing space. That makes sense thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non