Stolen Droid, please help.

LVracerGT

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Just had a friend get her Motorola Droid stolen last night. I'm wondering if there is any way to track it down or remotely install a tracking app to the phone? She didn't have any theft apps installed on the phone before it got stolen.

P.S. Trying to score some kudo points if you know what I mean, so any help is appreciated.

albokay

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
If there is nothing added or activated then she is mostly sol.

I can offer some words of advise. If you did find the thief and phone she would give you a hug for finding it and then would probably date the thief.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Simply put... if you don't have an tracking app loaded before you loose your device then you are out of luck... I'm sure you learn from this to load some type of tracking app on your next device... at least I hope so.

LVracerGT

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. She got the Droid on Ebay so she can't get it replaced through insurance. Wasn't sure if you could remotely install any apps or not. I've already installed my anti-theft app so I'm good lol.

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. She got the Droid on Ebay so she can't get it replaced through insurance. Wasn't sure if you could remotely install any apps or not. I've already installed my anti-theft app so I'm good lol.

If she used AppBrain and Fast Web Install, she could go to AppBrain's site and push Lookout to her Droid. That said, good luck getting the crook to go along with the set-up process for Lookout.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
seeing as it is a motorola droid, which is only available through verizon which is CDMA, cant you can verizon and have them check to see if it has been used. Since it is cdma you there isn't a sim card for it which means the only way to use it is by activating it through verizon. this would pop up and show the relative coordinates of where the person lives and to track where it is being used. i could be wrong but could swear that i have seen this somewhere.

Last edited:

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
see if she enabled Latitude in her Google Maps application.
then, log into Google. look at Maps--Latitude.
this shows you the last location that the phone's GPS was active. it can show you down to the street location.

if she didn't do this with her stolen Droid, definitely do it with the next one.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Just call VZW and report it stolen. Then VZW locks the phones mid and the phone can not be activated.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Simply put... if you don't have an tracking app loaded before you loose your device then you are out of luck... I'm sure you learn from this to load some type of tracking app on your next device... at least I hope so.
^ This. And don't forget backups. For some reason, people seem to overlook this with their (easily lost/stolen/broken) mobile devices. If it's important, secure it and back it up.

the apps are only good if u have the gps running 24/7 which will kill the battery.
Not quite true. The app doesn't need to determine location until the device is missing. Leaving GPS on doesn't kill the battery. Actively using GPS does.

moulidx

Sep 23, 2010
www.androidreviewblog.com
Maybe you could have tried with the service provider for any possible help as soon as the phone was stolen. Better luck with your next phone, at lease there are some free apps for such kind of scenarios. Thanks to Android.