3D Lithium Batteries

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I heard about the concept of 3D Li-ion batteries on an RC podcast and they mentioned this article:

#HowToMakeAnything - How to Make Battery Power More Powerful

Basically it would use a mesh instead of solid pieces to form the electrodes and uses a solid electrolyte. The claim is 5 times the capacity compared to current lithiums of comparable size and recharges in minutes due to increased surface area of the electrodes. I've seen other claims that suggest such a battery could last 15 years through thousands of charge cycles. The battery in the article is also non-flammable and relatively environmentally friendly.

Anyone else heard about these potential developments? It's especially exciting for me because a typical hobby grade helicopter like I'm learning to fly can take an hour to charge a single battery and lasts only about 4-6 minutes of flight. I can see this also being a great step for phones without replaceable batteries and those who do heavy gaming. I'm curious if it'll result in quicker performance gains (faster devices sooner than with current battery technologies), longer battery time with current performance, or a combination of both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non