Has the Nexus experience spoiled our reviewers?

Raithlin

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I have become increasingly irritated of late. I listen to several mobile tech podcasts, AC being a stalwart of course, and it has occurred to me that each reviewer has his/her own viewpoint on what makes the perfect device. On Phones Show chat, for example, Steve Litchfield is a photography nut of sorts, and thus every phone is compared with his beloved Lumia 1020. Fair enough. A good camera is a must these days, it would seem.

What I don't get (specific to AC, that is) is AC's constant downplaying of the OEM skins on top of Android. While I appreciate that some skins (Ahem, Samsung) are way over the top, and only serve to drag the device to the depths slow the device down, there are definite benefits to more than a few of them. LG, for example, allows the user to create their own navigation bar - what buttons, and where. That was something I thoroughly enjoyed on my G2. On my current device - the Huawei Ascend Mate 7 - Huawei has added (almost) all the little tweaks that I would usually add via Xposed: long tap on the Recent Apps button to swap between the 2 most recently used apps, for example. Also the option to choose from several Navigation Bar setups, though not quite to LG's standard, made it easy for me to *choose* where I want the back button to be (okay, left or right, but it's a choice).

My point is this: Nexus has a clean interface, to which you can add via the App Store (and Xposed, etc. if you so choose). The OEM skins have taken that a step further (some even further than that :mad:), and aim to provide a more complete experience for the end user, without having to hunt down said functionality in the Play Store. While our reviewers are entitled to their opinions (and are encouraged to do so - it makes for a more interesting world, and podcast), am I wrong in suggesting that the OEM skins are being overlooked/downplayed because they aren't Nexus-like?

Or is it just me? :-\

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't disagree. "Stock or die" is lazy.

The OEMs do a lot of good stuff. And sometimes they do good stuff badly.