This is the only article I've read stating what we all know, but no YouTube reviewers ever mention about the S24 camera...

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

I'm not hating, and I'm not trying to start a Pixel vs Samsung camera argument, but I just wish reviewers were more honest with their camera reviews. I've taken some great photos with my S24+, but I've always had to take them with a premeditated approach, and never as a stolen moment. While most won't mind this, because most of their subjects are inanimate or have the ability to pose and remain still, I just wish it was something that more/any reviewer actually mentioned.

nitewulf

Oct 20, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the article. That's one reason I held off on the S24 Ultra. I had a feeling they had done nothing for motion blur. I will continue to use my Pixel 8 Pro.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
One thing (well obviously more than ONE THING in life) that I know little about is camera settings. Just not that in to it! However, is there not a setting wherein you can adjust the "speed" at which the camera takes a picture...shutter speed? If so, can it not be set to a lower/faster speed that might mitigate the blur you all are experiencing with fast moving objects? Just a thought!

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Pro mode has a a shutter speed option...but it comes with a huge drop in quality.
What do you mean by "huge drop in quality"? If you mean blurry photos, that will happen if you slow the shutter speed down. Slowing down the shutter will get you properly exposed images, but they can be blurry. That blurriness is either from camera shake or because the subject is moving. Zooming will exacerbate it. Optical image stabilization helps, but it has its limitations. If you can't use a faster shutter speed, then you need to use a tripod or some other method of holding the camera steady. That will alleviate camera shake, but won't help if the subject is moving fast.

The rule of thumb in photography is your shutter speed should be the reciprocal of the focal length. If you have a focal length of 100mm then to get sharp photos you would need to set the shutter speed to 1/100 seconds or faster. For moving subjects, a shutter speed of 1/250 seconds or faster will work in most scenarios. That depends on how fast the subject is moving.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
From what i understand, slowing the shutter speed allows more light in, and usual, better pictures. This is if of course assuming the subjects are still. You're right though, slow shutter speed can result in better quality assuming what you're capturing is perfectly still.

speeding up the shutter speed captures a faster image, but being that it closes faster, less light gets in and the detail quality suffers.

Again, that's from what understood, but I'm no expert.

Edit: just to add though, I don't think this has anything to do with shutter speed and more to do with the ability to process images after the fact, along with lens size. Being that smartphones don't have the real-estate to have giant lenses, they have to rely on their ability to process an image after its taken, and in this regard, Google is king. From what I read, the camera actually takes photos slightly before and after you press the shutter button, giving them more than a few pictures to splice together to get the best result.

Last edited:

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
From what i understand, slowing the shutter speed allows more light in, and usual, better pictures. This is if of course assuming the subjects are still. You're right though, slow shutter speed can result in better quality assuming what you're capturing is perfectly still.

speeding up the shutter speed captures a faster image, but being that it closes faster, less light gets in and the detail quality suffers.

Again, that's from what understood, but I'm no expert.

Edit: just to add though, I don't think this has anything to do with shutter speed and more to do with the ability to process images after the fact, along with lens size. Being that smartphones don't have the real-estate to have giant lenses, they have to rely on their ability to process an image after its taken, and in this regard, Google is king. From what I read, the camera actually takes photos slightly before and after you press the shutter button, giving them more than a few pictures to splice together to get the best result.
A slow shutter speed also causes blurriness from camera shake. Read my post.

To your point about processing. That can also reduce sharpness. The three ways to capture a well exposed image in low light conditions is the increase the aperture, lower the shutter speed, or increase the ISO, or all of or any two of those three. Most, if not all, phone cameras allow you to adjust two of those three settings. Usually shutter speed and ISO.

Increasing ISO creates noise. That noise reduces overall image sharpness. Furthermore, noise reduction algorithms reduce noise at the expense of sharpness. Samsung noise reduction algorithms tend to be heavy handed.

The human eye has an enormous dynamic range of over 25 stops. What looks like well lit to the human eye is a computational nightmare to a camera. Using extremely small sensors and lenses with small apertures exacerbates that problem.

Without knowing what the conditions were at the time of capture, if the camera was handheld or on a tripod, it's difficult to determine what is causing the blurriness.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Well in the case of the article in question, the blurriness would be the motion of the animal, coupled with the inability of the S24 series to compensate for it with either hardware or computational post processing.

The question was if there was a way to increase shutter speed to maybe offset the blurriness, and I answered.

We're in agreement, right? There's is a way, but it's not necessarily going to take a better, less blurry picture of an animal in motion?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Pro mode has a a shutter speed option...but it comes with a huge drop in quality.
We also have camera assistance in Good Lock for little more tuning
34bd0732fc4daff52e20d600e9441afc.jpg

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
The writer of the article lacks a fundamental understanding of photography.
You need a fundamental understanding of photography to use a camera phone that's supposed to take all of that away and make it easier? They're disappointed that a point and shoot can't point and shoot without it being blurry...but that's not because the camera is bad, but because they don't know how to press a button? Because that's all you're supposed to do on a camera phone, press a button.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
You need a fundamental understanding of photography to use a camera phone that's supposed to take all of that away and make it easier? They're disappointed that a point and shoot can't point and shoot without it being blurry...but that's not because the camera is bad, but because they don't know how to press a button? Because that's all you're supposed to do on a camera phone, press a button.
I would agree with this statement. It's a camera phone. The average user is not going to go into pro settings and start playing with those settings and by the time you did the moment is over, so I agree with your take on this.

Reactions: MoreDef and jtfwTX

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
So much this! That's how it works for Pixel superfans and iPeople, so why is Samsung so bad at making a camera on a mostly superior phone that a normal person can't pull out of their pocket, point at their Cat/Dog/Kid doing something silly and get a good, gram worthy photo. The people who want to think about shutter speed and exposure times are the ones with DSLRs around their necks.

Pro mode is not the default, and should not be needed to get a usable photo under normal conditions.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I'm not hating, and I'm not trying to start a Pixel vs Samsung camera argument, but I just wish reviewers were more honest with their camera reviews. I've taken some great photos with my S24+, but I've always had to take them with a premeditated approach, and never as a stolen moment. While most won't mind this, because most of their subjects are inanimate or have the ability to pose and remain still, I just wish it was something that more/any reviewer actually mentioned.

This is a great article, thanks for sharing! It's good to see a reviewer finally call Samsung out for this issue! Like you, I wish more reviewers would point this out. It's amazing that Samsung still struggles with this after all these years! If more folks start pointing out this issue maybe Samsung will focus on fixing it

Reactions: MoreDef

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Something we all need to remember is this: Making a point-and-shoot camera on a phone is HARD! If it was easy then the Pixel(s) would not have been so far ahead for such a long time! Do any of you think that all the other OEM's are not aware of the superiority of the cameras on the Pixels? Of course they are! They know what many, if not most, people want in a camera on their phone of choice! Obviously it takes great skill in coding the software to do what is "best" which is subjective for sure.
So "they" all do their best with the people they have, put out the product, wait for the praises and complaints, and then decide how much money and effort they're willing to invest in trying to make it better! Obviously Google has the right people making the camera software, and all the other OEM's are trying to find similarly capable coders! Be patient, give them a chance to "fix" what they can! YMMV

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the Pixel 8 Pro and iPhone 15PM and the S24U. The cameras on all 3 smartphones are capable of taking great pictures. Some are better in certain situations than others.
But IMHO the S24U has the better all around camera (better all around smartphone), especially when you add in the zoom and ability to use the S-Pen as a remote option to take pictures.
I mean i agree that Samsung needs to fix shutter speed.

Reactions: 1raygin

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I've said this since the launch of the S20U.

Samsung makes great hardware for cameras but they are awful at developing software for image rendering. They literally get in their own way of what the hardware is capable of in terms of performance. Google has been able to do more with less for years now in terms of hardware.

I wish Samsung would at least work with Google on their camera software. They would finally be able to truly compete with iPhone cameras for the average person who knows nothing about photography (nor should they).

Reactions: MoreDef

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Samsung makes great hardware for cameras but they are awful at developing software for image rendering. They literally get in their own way of what the hardware is capable of in terms of performance. Google has been able to do more with less for years now in terms of hardware.

I wish Samsung would at least work with Google on their camera software. They would finally be able to truly compete with iPhone cameras for the average person who knows nothing about photography (nor should they).
agree with this...Google has the best post processing algorithm in the business. Or course Google isn't just going to give that to a competitor. But Samsung needs to work harder to develop their own.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

If Samsung ever decided to work with Google, the smartphone hobby would die, as it would devolve into iPhone vs GooSung (aka android). All these other phones pop up around the deficiencies that either Google or Samsung have with their hardware or software, and thrive because people are trying to find the perfect balance...but if you give the best processing and computational software to the best-spec'd hardware, it would be like giving each of the Avengers an Infinity Gauntlet.

With that being said, if that were ever to happen, I'd be in line every year to throw money at my screen and demand even the smallest of iterations to my GooSung GalaXel.