This is the only article I've read stating what we all know, but no YouTube reviewers ever mention about the S24 camera...

s2kdriver80

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Assuming you are holding the phone steady, it comes down to the shutter speed not being fast enough. Default auto mode algorithms differ between phone manufacturers, some might prioritize faster shutter speed for some noise at higher ISO, while some value cleaner images at the risk of blurred shots. I'm guessing Samsung is trying to keep ISO as low as possible. Due to the tiny sensors in these cameras and the small aperture lens particularly at the longer end (the reason why low light tele shots default to the main wide lens), the shutter speed has to be lengthened to keep ISO low, especially in lower light scenarios. You can set a faster shutter speed in pro/manual mode, but you'll have to crank up the ISO to get sufficient brightness.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Something we all need to remember is this: Making a point-and-shoot camera on a phone is HARD! If it was easy then the Pixel(s) would not have been so far ahead for such a long time! Do any of you think that all the other OEM's are not aware of the superiority of the cameras on the Pixels? Of course they are! They know what many, if not most, people want in a camera on their phone of choice! Obviously it takes great skill in coding the software to do what is "best" which is subjective for sure.
So "they" all do their best with the people they have, put out the product, wait for the praises and complaints, and then decide how much money and effort they're willing to invest in trying to make it better! Obviously Google has the right people making the camera software, and all the other OEM's are trying to find similarly capable coders! Be patient, give them a chance to "fix" what they can! YMMV
It's only taking what... 5 years? a decade? If it was only something Pixels got right it would be one thing, but even brands like OnePlus don't have these problems.

Let's not cut a (likely) Trillion dollar company any slack it doesn't deserve.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
If Samsung ever decided to work with Google, the smartphone hobby would die, as it would devolve into iPhone vs GooSung (aka android). All these other phones pop up around the deficiencies that either Google or Samsung have with their hardware or software, and thrive because people are trying to find the perfect balance...but if you give the best processing and computational software to the best-spec'd hardware, it would be like giving each of the Avengers an Infinity Gauntlet.

With that being said, if that were ever to happen, I'd be in line every year to throw money at my screen and demand even the smallest of iterations to my GooSung GalaXel.
Isn't that kind of the situation we're already in lol.. Sounds very much like an accurate description of the current market.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Isn't that kind of the situation we're already in lol.. Sounds very much like an accurate description of the current market.
Well I'm waiting for my phone that performs like a Samsung, is free of bloat and redundant apps and takes pics like a Pixel, and comes with ALL the codecs like any other smartphone not Samsung or Google. Right now, I need three phones for the three hobbies smartphones help with, emulation (samsung/), pictures of my kid (Google), Hi-Res music (any phone with Aptx HD and up codecs, or LDAC).

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
It's only taking what... 5 years? a decade? If it was only something Pixels got right it would be one thing, but even brands like OnePlus don't have these problems.

Let's not cut a (likely) Trillion dollar company any slack it doesn't deserve.
So then do you think they are "purposely" NOT fixing the blur issues????
Obviously it's NOT EASY! Don't you think they want the most praise like Pixel gets for its cameras? Or do you think there's a conspiracy that Google is paying off all the competition to cripple their cameras just a little to let Google win? SMH

nitewulf

Oct 20, 2023
Visit site
Well I'm waiting for my phone that performs like a Samsung, is free of bloat and redundant apps and takes pics like a Pixel, and comes with ALL the codecs like any other smartphone not Samsung or Google. Right now, I need three phones for the three hobbies smartphones help with, emulation (samsung/), pictures of my kid (Google), Hi-Res music (any phone with Aptx HD and up codecs, or LDAC).
Very good point. I've said many times myself you need 3 phones:A Pixel for still photos, a Galaxy Sxx for the screen, video and overall experience and an LG for the quad dac and audio experience.

Pro modes and tweaking settings is fine, but the average user who is not a photographer should be able to point and shoot to get non-blurry indoor shots of kids and pets. With the camera probably being the most desired feature on a smartphone, it astounds me that Samsung wastes its time on gimmicks few will use more than once and fail to excel on the things people really want. Sure, it's not easy, but with the budget Samsung had they should have no excuse.

Reactions: MoreDef

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
So then do you think they are "purposely" NOT fixing the blur issues????
Obviously it's NOT EASY! Don't you think they want the most praise like Pixel gets for its cameras? Or do you think there's a conspiracy that Google is paying off all the competition to cripple their cameras just a little to let Google win? SMH
Well, I obviously don't support your conspiracy theory, because, as I said, this isn't an issue that only Google have solved.

I don't know if it's incompetence or just unwillingness to fix the issue. But why make excuses for a problem that no other phone manufacturer seems to have? They ultimately have the resources to fix this problem, and for whatever reason are choosing not to.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Emulation? A Steam deck OLED is probably a better choice.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Emulation? A Steam deck OLED is probably a better choice.
I have that too, but that's a commitment to lugging even the slimmest of cases, along with breaking it out.

With a phone, it's pocketable, and with a Gamesir controller, I'm able to go from NES all the way up to PS2. I'm actually working through Metroid Samus Returns for the 3DS on my S24+. When I don't feel like using a controller, I'm also working on Dragon Quest VIII using the touch controls since it doesn't require twitch reflexes.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
You need a fundamental understanding of photography to use a camera phone that's supposed to take all of that away and make it easier? They're disappointed that a point and shoot can't point and shoot without it being blurry...but that's not because the camera is bad, but because they don't know how to press a button? Because that's all you're supposed to do on a camera phone, press a button.
If he had a fundemental understanding of photography, he would understand that in low light or challenging light scenarios, you will get blurred images of moving objects. If you set the camera to auto, it will set both the shutter speed and ISO to get the proper exposure. The camera doesn't know that the object is moving. To get better photos of moving objects, you need to set the shutter speed higher. This will force the camera to increase the ISO to compensate for the faster shutter speed. He would also know that the object may be in focus, but it won't be as sharp, because increasing the ISO introduces noise, which reduces sharpness and give it a soft even blurry look. It's basic photography 101. No amount of automation will compensate for the lack of understanding of the fundamentals of photography.

Smartphone cameras have come a long way, there is no doubt about that. But, physics doesn't take a break. Algorithms can help, but they will never completely replace good techniques.

The marketers make it seem that with a Pixel, S24, or iPhone camera, anybody can get the same or better results as a $3000 camera with a pro level lens will give you. People then are disappointed that they are not getting the results the commercials show. That is because, just like the author, they don't understand the basic fundamentals of photography. It's not a new concept. It is as simple as Googling, "basic photography fundamentals." You will find hundreds, if not thousands of YouTube videos explaining basic photography. Many of them will even address good techniques with smartphone cameras and how to get the best results.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
There are things that I can do with my over 10 year-old Canon EOS 6D with a 28-105mm L lens that I would not attempt with a smartphone, even my S24 Ultra. That is because I know the limitations of the equipment I am using. Conversely, there are many things I can do with my S24 Ultra, that I won't try on my EOS 6D. There a lot of things that both can do very well. Yet, if I didn't understand the fundamentals of photography and used poor photography techniques, I would get poor or mediocre results.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Except the author used a Pixel as well and didn't run into the same "fundamental problem". So maybe it isn't the lack of knowledge about photography and more to do with the flaws in the S24 camera?

Also, as much as you want to make this about technical knowledge, we're talking about a camera phone. I'd say you're overthinking it, but the argument doesn't really reflect much thought about what you're actually taking the photo with and the purpose of the tool you're using. Spoiler, it's ease, speed and convenience. It's a point and shoot, so why would someone need to pose the subject, consider lighting, adjust meters and sliders, choose the right focal point, adjust the focus, point then shoot? That's like expecting someone to know how to drive manual just so they can drive an automatic.

Last edited:

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Except the author used a Pixel as well and didn't run into the same "fundamental problem". So maybe it isn't the lack of knowledge about photography and more to do with the flaws in the S24 camera?
Is it a flaw with the S24? A flaw means that it is not doing something it was designed and built to do. It is an unintended defect. How can the S24 do something if it wasn't designed to do it? It doesn't have the same algorithms that Pixel has, therefore, it can't do the same thing. This does not make the S24 a flawed or inferior device. By any stretch of the imagination.

This article is simply a hit piece and nothing more.