Does anyone use anti virus / malware app on their Android?

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Most people don't. Conventional wisdom by bloggers and threads is that they are scams, gimmicks, and cause headaches with false positives. It is not that you can't get malware, nor should you ever be lulled into a false sense of security, but I think among seasoned android users less than 3 percent use anti virus virus apps. (Just a guess). Just don't click on anything unknown and stick to known apps from reputable sites and never be the first to try an app.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Most people don't. Conventional wisdom by bloggers and threads is that they are scams, gimmicks, and cause headaches with false positives. It is not that you can't get malware, nor should you ever be lulled into a false sense of security, but I think among seasoned android users less than 3 percent use anti virus virus apps. (Just a guess). Just don't click on anything unknown and stick to known apps from reputable sites and never be the first to try an app.

This. By simply using common sense (reading app reviews, avoiding sketchy apps), you can avoid getting any sort of malware on your phone. Most antivirus apps do nothing but report false positives (like flagging Gmail as malware).

JLogic0

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
This is interesting. I believe all the apps on Google Play a pre-screened for malware, so it should be ok if the source of apps are credible. On the other hand, I'm wondering if browsing can induce malware.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
This is interesting. I believe all the apps on Google Play a pre-screened for malware, so it should be ok if the source of apps are credible. On the other hand, I'm wondering if browsing can induce malware.

Not a security expert, but I think the short answer is yes, but the likelihood is very small.

I think it is sort of like the issue with Macs, where it wasn't that Macs were impervious to viruses, but rather it was that 99 percent of viruses were targeting Windows Machines and Macs made up only a tiny fraction of OS's in the computing ecosystem. Of course that has changed now, and we hear about viruses on Macs pretty frequently. I don't think many viruses are being written to target Android phones. I am sure they are out there, but I am not sure they are all that effective or that anti virus apps are all that effecting protecting from them.

So far as I know non-rooted Android OS doesn't have Flash and Java (somebody please correct me if that is wrong) nor do they have Windows programs installed and running, and I think those account for the vast majority of viruses. But simple browsing? ..............Hmmm, I just doubt it..........simple browsing but watching video, more likely.........If you are browsing known virus-prone sites, or if you are browsing with the belief that you can't get malware and don't exercise caution, or do not follow the good security practices you should be using already on your PC, then yes you'll get malware.

alexalbert

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I recommended Norton to you. I also use this antivirus and i never face any virus problem. I also get full support Norton chat team at any time.

iobitlori

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
If so, what would you recommend?

Thanks.
I guess yes, and you may want to try this free one: Advanced Mobile Care

It not only can keep your Android device virus-free, but also boost the speed etc.
Check out the main features here:
● Mobile Anti-virus:

● Anti-theft:

● Battery Saver:

● Call Blocker:

● System Tuneup:

● Game Speeder:

● App Manager:

● Task Killer:

● Privacy Locker:

● Privacy Advisor:

● Cloud Backup & Restore:

● Widget:

It's free on Google Play
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iobit.mobilecare
Or get the apk here:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/mobilecarecdn.iobit.com/dl/Advanced-Mobile-Care3.1.apk

HeisenbergXX

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
About a month ago i bought a Windows 8 PC ( yeah i know.. :/) I bought/installed Webroot Secure Anywhere, also have it on my laptop & on my samsung galaxy S2 (boost mobile) :/
It works pretty good on the phone. There are some apps on the google play store that look cheap, unprofessional , when i install certain apps like that & it scans them it gives a warning. So far i've had no problem with it misreading apps as virus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38