How do I turn off google's constant reminders?

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I think it has now been 8 times that Google has reminded me that I have a photo to share. It is almost getting creepy. It is nothing more than a pic that I tried as a background on my MotoG.

Do I have to have a connection with google at all?
If so, can I limit what google is seeing?
How might I stop these useless reminders about this one picture?

The only thing I use this phone for, is, well, ... a phone.

I wish google would stop trying to be so "helpful".

Last edited:

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I get the feeling that there is absolutely nothing that I want from Google+ but really I don't know.
Does this control the backup of my contact list or calendar settings?

I am not one for pics, texting (although I might get into it sooner or later), web searching, or e-mail on my phone. My Wifi and bluetooth are usually switched off and I do not pay for any on-line service.

What is the "Drive"?

Might all this be useful because maybe the phone has a low amount of memory?

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I want to be corrected on any of this, but this is how I understand it :
Google Drive / My Drive is Google's own cloud storage service. You should have the app.
I have a 15gb free allowance with my Samsung, I think it is the same for any new Android. Samsung give 50gb of Dropbox storage, which I recommend ; and the Moto G gets a cloud allowance on another service, I think it's Box (I haven't taken my new Moto G out of the retail box yet) for about 15gb, I'm not sure the amount. Any back ups done with Google + are presumably stored on Drive.

I (like many) have completely disabled the 'Google+' app. However my 'Google' account can/will sync what I select to sync in my Google account, see below.
ADDED: These are available from your Google account or Gmail inbox for call logs, sms etc. -

I don't like Google+ as I don't want a named online presence like Facebook etc. I also don't want Google to have all my photos, nor do I take my music from Google. I drag/copy my own music files from my pc, and save a copy of my photos and videos in the other direction. I uncheck photo 'syning' on my Google account to Picasa / otherwise named Google Photos for a similar reason, and because it constantly bugs the hell out of you and is a PITA.

Many find Google+ very useful and I can understand that, but it also drains the phones battery, cpu and your data (a little). The only downside for me in completely disabling the Google+ app and not having a 'presence' is I can no longer leave a review on the Play Store for an app or other. I did not need Google + for this in the recent past but they changed it.

Google Now, while slightly creepy, I am warming to and is intriguing. Many reviews on Android Central blogs attest to it being virtually a lifesaver as it gives relevant and urgent alerts on severe weather / tornado / fire warnings as a public service.
So you have Google, Google, Google and Google. I hope that's clear.

ysa6u3u2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Your response inspired me. Yes, it really did. For the list that you show, everything on my phone is disabled. What happens if I use the option at the bottom of the screen to "delete the account"? Under Accounts Google: Sync is off, Google Now is off, Location Mode is off.

This reminds me about when my mother was on 18 different pills adding up to 24 a day. It was a real circus trying to get them all ordered in time and filling the daily trays. Finally, she opted to stop them all and all at once. Three months later when the doctor was looking at her blood test results he noted "I see that your blood pressure is better, triglycerides and cholesterol are all on target, heart rate was good etc. He asked what was different. He almost dropped the clipboard when we told him. He then asked, well, can we at least bring back in these three? She agreed.

Same thing here. It looks as I have stopped taking all the Google pills. Are there any that I really should turn off or bring back in? I figure that there has to be something of merit with that "service".

Can I backup my Moto using a USB into my computer?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Your response inspired me. Yes, it really did. For the list that you show, everything on my phone is disabled. What happens if I use the option at the bottom of the screen to "delete the account"? Under Accounts Google: Sync is off, Google Now is off, Location Mode is off.

This reminds me about when my mother was on 18 different pills adding up to 24 a day. It was a real circus trying to get them all ordered in time and filling the daily trays. Finally, she opted to stop them all and all at once. Three months later when the doctor was looking at her blood test results he noted "I see that your blood pressure is better, triglycerides and cholesterol are all on target, heart rate was good etc. He asked what was different. He almost dropped the clipboard when we told him. He then asked, well, can we at least bring back in these three? She agreed.

Same thing here. It looks as I have stopped taking all the Google pills. Are there any that I really should turn off or bring back in? I figure that there has to be something of merit with that "service".

Can I backup my Moto using a USB into my computer?

Don't get me started with doctors and pills. The only doctor I like is an AC ambassador and sounds like a rap star (). Amazing that she didn't get sudden withdrawal. Anyhoo -

That remove account option is interesting and one I forgot. I think I read you can change to another gmail account, eg if your gmail address has part of your name you can remove and change to an anonymous one. Not totally sure but something I would like to do before I link another phone.
You need a Gmail for the Play Store mainly. It's useful to have it linked to another email account for verification. I only use Gmail for Google and Samsung related stuff, I use the good Yahoo app and one other for personal mail.

Best advice I can give you by far, and from personal experience, is remember your Google account log in/password and make sure you enable Android Device Manager on your phone. You may know this already, but from a pc or other Android device you can unlock your phone remotely if you or someone locks it and you don't have the code. You can also Lock it, Wipe it, leave a lockscreen message on it if found by someone, leave another contact number on the screen which automatically gets a 'call' button, and of course locate it on a map, whenever it is turned on and has a data connection. Google Android's best feature imo.

I don't normally sync my calendar or contacts with my Google account, I don't need to, but it's alright. Likewise syncing call logs and sms is unnecessary, there are sms back up apps.
App data syncing is another area I am not clear on. I don't think it will keep you logged in to apps after a factory reset, just keeps accumulated data. I reset 2 months ago when it was accidentally unchecked.

I agreed to Google Now recently when I moved to another carrier with unlimited data. I can shut it down. It knows where your phone goes but you can refuse to agree to different areas. It's always telling me how long the next bus and train will be, and how long to get to home or work by car. I don't have it in account settings on my Samsung.

I don't think Motorola do pc backup and syncing software. Not on their site anyway. You can copy / move / save photos and video files from the device and sd card storage DCIM folder when viewed in Windows Explorer. I can drag Windows Media Player wav music albums/files to my Samsung phone.

Samsung has pc syncing software called Kies. I can use that to sync my device-only calendar, and contacts with Microsoft Outlook 2003/7. It saves Samsung notes and other Samsung apps. There are pc syncing apps apparently. Side-Sync downloads to both, I dl the app but haven't tried it yet.
I recommend Color Note for notes, read their website. I use it over Samsung Note 3 notes. They are not available on a pc, they are synced to Color Note using your Gmail as log in, and can be synced by another Android phone or tablet.

I remember your other thread. Your insurance app has lost another 10 minutes!

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Here is a bizarre one, it is a bit unnerving.
Apparently there are about 100 "Trusted Credentials" listed under "System" and I recognize scarcely 3 of them as being major banks. They all have a blue check on them. Thoughts?

Trusted Credentials.png

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Here is a bizarre one, it is a bit unnerving.
Apparently there are about 100 "Trusted Credentials" listed under "System" and I recognize scarcely 3 of them as being major banks. They all have a blue check on them. Thoughts?

View attachment 131592

Nothing to worry about. They are all updated by Google in numerical then alphabetical order. Worldwide sites that have passed Google security. Any thing else they would warn you about. Similar to Windows browser warning when a site has failed or has not renewed credentials, I think.
I can't tell you more than that.
pyta6ary.jpg

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Just remembered something. Disabling Google + you're going to lose the photos app. Not a big loss, but be aware. The Moto gallery or some app from the play store will do the job.

Moto G from ACF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa