How do I turn off this share/google lens icon?

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
How do I turn off the icon that is in this image? Every time I open a photo or view certain apps, I get this Share/Google Lens search button. I can't find in the settings where to turn it off. It's very annoying.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231005-161054.png
    Screenshot_20231005-161054.png
    544.4 KB · Views: 14

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not seeing that on my Pixel Tablet. Does that only show up when viewing images in the Files app, or Google Photos? Or is that showing up in the App Overview?

Also, are you on the stable Android 14, or beta?

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm not seeing that on my Pixel Tablet. Does that only show up when viewing images in the Files app, or Google Photos? Or is that showing up in the App Overview?

Also, are you on the stable Android 14, or beta?

I'm on Android 13. It only shows up when I view a photo in my Photos app, OR if I open an app that has a photo IE: Spotify with album art and then press the button (Square Apps button) which would allow me to switch apps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Android 13. It only shows up when I view a photo in my Photos app, OR if I open an app that has a photo IE: Spotify with album art and then press the button (Square Apps button) which would allow me to switch apps.
Oh, you posted this in the Android 14 forum. Which device do you have? It might be a device-specific thing, so before I consider moving this thread to the Android 13 forum, it'd be good to know which device we're talking about.

Reactions: J Dubbs

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I moved this to the Pixel 5 forum.

I still have Android 13 on my Pixel 7 Pro, and can't reproduce that issue. Is that icon tappable? If so, what happens if you tap it?

Any Accessibility features turned on?

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Ok, I moved this to the Pixel 5 forum.

I still have Android 13 on my Pixel 7 Pro, and can't reproduce that issue. Is that icon tappable? If so, what happens if you tap it?

Any Accessibility features turned on?
If I tap the icon, it shows a list of apps and people I can share it to. It says "Lens, Copy, Share, Save, when I tap it.

Accessibility features aren't on, at least anything that would do this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does it persist in Safe Mode? https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/2852139?hl=en. You'll only be able to test preinstalled apps, but it can help determine if this is from a system app or from a 3rd party app you installed. If it goes away in Safe Mode, then it's likely a 3rd party app.

Also, just curious, did you actually install the Lens app? Since Lens is built into the Pixel software, there's no need to install Lens separately (and if you did install it, I wonder if that might be contributing).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh wait, I see it now -- but only in the App Overview. If there's a photo within the screenshot in the App Overview, I see that icon with the Lens/Copy/Share/Save options. I think that's just a convenience feature that you can't get rid of. But I don't see that outside of the App Overview.

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Oh wait, I see it now -- but only in the App Overview. If there's a photo within the screenshot in the App Overview, I see that icon with the Lens/Copy/Share/Save options. I think that's just a convenience feature that you can't get rid of. But I don't see that outside of the App Overview.

Ahh, OK. I hate the feature :). If I wanted to share the photo, I would have pressed the button to bring the drop-down menu down instead.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
This is a bit drastic but would another reset fix whatever bug is causing this to happen? Or an upgrade to Android 14. It looks like a particularly annoying bug to me, because I have never seen this happen outside of the recents menu either.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If that doesn't help then go to settings>apps>all apps>upper right corner tap and reset app preferences maybe will reset the app responsible

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I think this is a feature in the App Overview that isn't modifiable.
I think you might be correct on this. I just noticed if I press the App Viewer button while viewing this forum, I got a hovering box in the top right corner that is the Share Link. I think this is just part of the system. It's a shame I can't turn these off.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think you might be correct on this. I just noticed if I press the App Viewer button while viewing this forum, I got a hovering box in the top right corner that is the Share Link. I think this is just part of the system. It's a shame I can't turn these off.
I don't see this , you have Google lens app download to your device?