Google Keyboard doesn't autocorrect or show predictions in any browser.

A

AC Question

Hey guys. I'm using a rooted ATT GS5.

Recently my Google Keyboard has stopped auto correcting words and showing predictions in multiple browsers, I have tried (Chrome, Chrome Beta, Firefox etc). It had been working fine after root but I switched to Swiftkey to try something different. The keyboard does work correctly in hangouts and my messaging apps. I have tried reinstalling and clearing the caches for each browser and Google Keyboard. Does anybody have any suggestions to fix this?

Lpbmarks

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
I almost figured it out. Since I can't seem to delete this post I will share what I found, it does help at least in some apps. Kind of gets you closer to the end goal.

Inside Gboard settings:
1) Go to "Languages"
2) Uncheck "Use system language"
3) Check "English"

As well as make sure all the other settings are set for auto-correction, etc.

Last edited:

Eddie R

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
I hate this new update for the same reason. Words don't get separated the way they used to and auto predict sucks now. I looked up how to change this in settings. I went to about update and it says if you want to keep your previous keyboard then select that option when you first open it in the new update. Problem is i already am past that point now. I do not want to have to reset phone to get old texting back. I have opened up the Samsung messaging app and it works much better than the Verizon messages but still not as smooth as it used to be. Help!

joelphilippage

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
My solution was to go into Android's settings and enable all permissions for the app. It was missing storage and location then cleared the cache. The suggestion strip didn't appear right away, but after a couple times the keyboard came up it worked.

southsam7

May 25, 2012
Visit site
YES. that's what it is: download the English language packs. I downloaded every language pack with the word English in it and it fixed it. What a nightmare. For the past year it was so maddening I seriously thought about getting an iPhone, and that is something I thought I would never do in a million years. I don't know why this fix works, and more importantly why such an important feature can be so completely disabled is beyond me. Good luck!

Hey guys. I'm using a rooted ATT GS5.

Recently my Google Keyboard has stopped auto correcting words and showing predictions in multiple browsers, I have tried (Chrome, Chrome Beta, Firefox etc). It had been working fine after root but I switched to Swiftkey to try something different. The keyboard does work correctly in hangouts and my messaging apps. I have tried reinstalling and clearing the caches for each browser and Google Keyboard. Does anybody have any suggestions to fix this?

Lucky sob

Dec 11, 2018
Visit site
I tried a number of things, none of them working including downloading English again. Then in desperation I started hitting keys I didn't know what function they would do. The first being the globe key to the right of the space bar. I thought it might be like the Start button on a PC keyboard. Nope. It's a toggle switch for auto text. Go ahead, try it out. Boy do I feel stupid. It got switched off during the recent update to android 8.1.

faunika

Feb 7, 2019
Visit site
hi i had the same problem - both text prediction and word correction quit working after i turned off the share usage statistics in advance settings under gboard. i turned it back on and everything working fine. not really what i wanted and it took forever to figure it out - but its back to normal - hope this helps

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38