Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 screen fault?

troopie1987

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
My wife put her phone on charge last night then woke up early by a light coming from the screen.
It has all lines across the screen and has just stopped.
It didn't get dropped.
I tried pulling out the battery and it is still the same. When you turn it back on it goes straight to the lines screen and stops.
If you turn it off, it reboots after about 40 seconds to the sane screen.

I removed the back and checked the screen cable connector, but still the same.

Any idea's?
Any help greatly appreciated

Attachments

• FaultyNote2.jpg
    FaultyNote2.jpg
    755 KB · Views: 9

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to AC :)
Can you try rebooting into download or recovery mode to see if it looks that way too?
With the phone off...
Recovery: Hold home + power + volume up for a few seconds
Download: Same, but volume down instead of up

androidthings01

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
You may be able to use the boot loader to reset the device( hold power buttons at once while turning on) or connect to PC maybe and reset the phone via that, though if is hardware I have no idea

Posted via the Android Central App

troopie1987

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi UJ95x,
Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated.
I tried that, the recovery method was exactly the same but the download got me back to the warning, message on installing the custom OS, with the screen back to normal.
But when I press the volume down button to cancel the OS download and reboot, it just comes back the warning message still in normal readable print.
If I push and hold the power button to reboot, you can see the warning screen through the lines across the screen.
It proves that the screen can work.
Any other idea's?

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi UJ95x,
Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated.
I tried that, the recovery method was exactly the same but the download got me back to the warning, message on installing the custom OS, with the screen back to normal.
But when I press the volume down button to cancel the OS download and reboot, it just comes back the warning message still in normal readable print.
If I push and hold the power button to reboot, you can see the warning screen through the lines across the screen.
It proves that the screen can work.
Any other idea's?

Does the phone have a password setup?
You can try booting into "regular" mode and if it has no password you should still be able to recover data from it. Probably best to do that before we suggest anything else

troopie1987

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi I tried to do a back up but it won't connect. Tried using Kies software and it knows it is there, but can't connect, so I will have to skip that part.
What do you recommend next?
Thanks again, I just need it going and can live without the back up.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi I tried to do a back up but it won't connect. Tried using Kies software and it knows it is there, but can't connect, so I will have to skip that part.
What do you recommend next?
Thanks again, I just need it going and can live without the back up.

So it's not being recognized at all?
Try downloading the latest drivers from sammobile.com

troopie1987

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
When you plug in the USB lead you can hear it connect, but it just hunts and times out. It says reboot the phone and try again, but it does the same. The Kies program is the latest update.
I even tried to boot it to download and recovery modes, but still the same result.

Had a problem with the charging lead, as the lead was a bit sus after the dog had had a nibble on the cord. This was over 10 months ago. I am wondering if it may have put some charge somewhere it shouldn't have. I stripped back the lead and it had quite a few damaged wires.
What do you think?
Thanks again

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
When you plug in the USB lead you can hear it connect, but it just hunts and times out. It says reboot the phone and try again, but it does the same. The Kies program is the latest update.
I even tried to boot it to download and recovery modes, but still the same result.

Hmm, and the screen still appears broken in recovery but fine in download mode?
Have you tried any other USB cables? Or maybe a different port on the computer?

troopie1987

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Sorry did you see I edited my last post. I found a new lead and tried it on a different USB but still the same. The PC knows it is there, but the Keis program can't talk to the phone. The phones USB plug might be a bit loose to, as you have to move the lead around a bit before you hear it connect to the PC.
Yes download mode is the only mode the screen is normal in.

Also every time I turn it off, it turns back on after 2 to 3 seconds. Only way to make it stay off is remove and replace the battery then it stays off until you turn it back on.
May be it is time for a new phone?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Sorry did you see I edited my last post. I found a new lead and tried it on a different USB but still the same. The PC knows it is there, but the Keis program can't talk to the phone. The phones USB plug might be a bit loose to, as you have to move the lead around a bit before you hear it connect to the PC.
Yes download mode is the only mode the screen is normal in.

Also every time I turn it off, it turns back on after 2 to 3 seconds. Only way to make it stay off is remove and replace the battery then it stays off until you turn it back on.
May be it is time for a new phone?

I missed that. What do you mean by the lead though? :confused:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, yes the lead that comes with the phone and plugs in to the charger or USB port.
We have used it to copy photos to the PC before

OK, I get it now :p
I don't think a bad cable could have had anything to do with it. Even it was damaged, at most it would not charge your device. But if the others don't work either, it's probably an issue with your device. I agree with Golfdriver then, that it's a hardware issue. If the computer isn't recognizing the device, you won't be able to try a stock firmware to see if it was just software :-\

troopie1987

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi and thanks again.
We took it yesterday to a phone repair kiosk they thought it was a video chip, but as it can display fine in download mode, I think it maybe more the logic board.
After finding the amount of damaged wires in the USB lead after stripping the outer cover back, I think that May have caused the fault.
I might take it to the samsung service centre today and see what they say.
A costly repair I would guess.
I looked up logic boards on eBay, but they looked different to mine. Maybe the Hong Kong version is a bit different I don't know

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi and thanks again.
We took it yesterday to a phone repair kiosk they thought it was a video chip, but as it can display fine in download mode, I think it maybe more the logic board.
After finding the amount of damaged wires in the USB lead after stripping the outer cover back, I think that May have caused the fault.
I might take it to the samsung service centre today and see what they say.
A costly repair I would guess.
I looked up logic boards on eBay, but they looked different to mine. Maybe the Hong Kong version is a bit different I don't know

Sorry for the late reply. Did you ever end up going to Samsung?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ptwn7