After ADB Sideload.....?

Peter Brown1

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
After several fits and starts with my recalcitrant new Nexus 5 that apparently just loved 4.4.4, I got 5.0 sideloaded successfully (main culprit: USB driver issues).

SO - now that's done, I'm curious about the update.zip file that installed on my phone. It was a 1.4GB download and I assume this was put on the phone.

Are the install files still on my Nexus? Should I delete them to free the space? If so, where are they?

TIA

PS. I did delete the update.zip file from my laptop. I am wanting to know if there are any extraneous files left on my Nexus as part of the install that are just taking up space and no longer necessary? Do I dump the cache from Recovery Mode? Or are the files found by browsing the device?

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
After several fits and starts with my recalcitrant new Nexus 5 that apparently just loved 4.4.4, I got 5.0 sideloaded successfully (main culprit: USB driver issues).

SO - now that's done, I'm curious about the update.zip file that installed on my phone. It was a 1.4GB download and I assume this was put on the phone.

Are the install files still on my Nexus? Should I delete them to free the space? If so, where are they?

TIA
That file basically overwrites the existing file. What's happening, is that the OTA (Update.zip) is flashing over the various partitions that need updating. In this case, it's the system.img that is the largest. Those files are not stored on the device as any other file would and can be deleted.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Peter Brown1

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
That file basically overwrites the existing file. What's happening, is that the OTA (Update.zip) is flashing over the various partitions that need updating. In this case, it's the system.img that is the largest. Those files are not stored on the device as any other file would and can be deleted.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

I did delete the update.zip file from my laptop. I am wanting to know if there are any extraneous files left on my Nexus as part of the install that are just taking up space and no longer necessary? Do I dump the cache from Recovery Mode? Or are the files found by browsing the device?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I did delete the update.zip file from my laptop. I am wanting to know if there are any extraneous files left on my Nexus as part of the install that are just taking up space and no longer necessary? Do I dump the cache from Recovery Mode? Or are the files found by browsing the device?
Nope, there won't be any files leftover on the Nexus. When you push the update.zip to the Nexus for updating, it basically overwrites itself onto the device on the appropriate partitions. There won't keep a copy of the update.zip, or any other file, on the device.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's always a good idea to wipe the cache on a new ROM or update. Save yourself a little work, though - Settings/General/Storage. Wait until Cache stops calculating, then press it. Clear it. If it's still not clear when it finishes, clear it again. (It takes twice sometimes.) Easier than restarting twice.

If update.zip is still on the Nexus, delete it, but it shouldn't be. On the laptop, that's your choice. (I still have January 2014 files from my phone on my desktop. I still have files from my old Gingerbread phone. I never delete files for some reason. (I think I still have some source for some parts of CP/M stashed somewhere - that's going back to the 70s.)