International Texting?

jackjoe1234

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
I need to text someone abroad, quite regularly, but they don't have a huge data allowance. I was wondering, if I buy one of those international numbers from an app, would it be sufficient enough? I would be texting through the app, and they would be texting back like normal.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I need to text someone abroad, quite regularly, but they don't have a huge data allowance. I was wondering, if I buy one of those international numbers from an app, would it be sufficient enough? I would be texting through the app, and they would be texting back like normal.
If they don't have the data allowance, then by you using a service won't change how they are texting. I would recommend that you both use a service, such as Hangouts, to communicate. It doesn't use very much data as long as there are no images being sent between each other.

jackjoe1234

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Ah, thanks. I've used the services in the past but via pc so I wasn't sure.

We speak on Kik and she has WhatsApp, I thought they were good enough but she complains about those too... I have Hangouts, never actually used before.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Texting doesn't use data (notmal texting, like the Messeging app). ANY other method uses data, and about the same amount, 1 byte per character for the Latin alphabet (this one we're using now), 2 bytes per character for Unicode.