Why is my Note 4 touch screen not detecting touches?

A

AC Question

why is my note 4 touch screen not detecting touches?

last night i picked up my phone (galaxy note 4) of the couch and went to look at something on my phone. i pushed the wake button on the side of the phone and the screen came on but when I swipe to unlock or touch anywhere on the screen with my finger it no longer senses anything. no i am not wearing gloves and i didn't drop the phone. the s-pen still works to control the phone but using your finger now does nothing at all. anyone else had this happen?

I have tried turning the sensitivity up and also done a factory reset and it still does not work.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: why is my note 4 touch screen not detecting touches?

Welcome to Android Central! You did an actual factory data reset, that wiped the phone and required you to log back in and set it back up again? Or was it a simple reboot (i.e., power off, then power on)?

Chris Neilson

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site

I backed it up to kies and went into settings and did the factory reset where it wipes everything back to factory settings

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Sounds as if the digitizer went bad. (The S Pen works with a different layer of the screen electrically, it;s not just a substitute for your finger on the digitizer.)

Since you're backed up, and the phone is still under a replacement warranty, have it replaced (unless your carrier replaces screens while you wait).

Chris Neilson

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site

Does the multi window and back button have their own digitizer too?? I just noticed that those buttons work using my finger but the screen itself still does not.

Posted via the Android Central App

Steve Waddell

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
My note4 same thing
Finger control. NO
S-pen control. YES
Back an Home either control. YES

problem is intermittent
Seems to happen when screen gets warm.
From use or warmm/hot ambient temp

Placing unit in freezer for a few minutes seems to rectify problem.
My unit is less than six moths old and has always been in an otter box.

Very irritating problem. Bad point when I'm trying to wean coworkers off the apple platform