LG G3 Overheating without power being on?

A

AC Question

Hi,
I acquired an LG G3 that had water damage and I don't know how or the steps they took after taking it out of the water. I disassembled and soaked board in IPA and it looked great. I put it all back together except for the lower rear piece because I figured I'd test it first. I inserted a brand new battery and the notification light started blinking red but nothing happened when I tried to power it on. Then I accidentally touched the lower right rear of the board and it was extremely hot. I pulled the battery, then put it back in and again the same spot was hot and I didn't even try the power button this time. So, does anyone know why it would be getting so hot from just inserting the battery?

Marce21

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I asked this question yesterday and was wondering if I can get it switched to my name, now that I signed up because I'd like to be notified in case someone answers. Thank you!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central as a new member. :)

Exactly why that's happening I don't know but I do know that water and any impurities in it left behind as residue will quickly cause corrosion and short-circuits. We have a resident expert in such matters who may be able to tell you more if he happens to pass by. Meanwhile, read this:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ow-s/477140-guide-oh-no-my-phone-got-wet.html

Posted via the Android Central App

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Phones that are water damaged normally have shorts in them. I don't know how electronically inclined you are, but if the device is getting hot, on or off, then there's a short circuit drawing excessive current from the battery in the area that's hot. Bad news and quite/very dangerous to keep installing the battery in the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch