What is the best way to preserve the battery life?

charlesxy

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I have been having some major issues charging S3.

I do not know if it is the battery, but I ordered a new one just in case along with a new charger.

The service rep mentioned to me that the phone should charge from 0 to 100% in about 2 hours with a good battery.

He also mentioned that I should not leave the phone charged overnight or left charged after it reaches 100% or else it starts damaging the phone?

Any truth to all this? I have found that if I do not keep the phone charged, it immediately starts losing power.

Thanks for any help you can provide me.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The phone should be ok on an overnight charge. The 2 hour timeframe sounds about right. The problem most likely is your battery, though. You should see a dramatic change once you get the new one.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
1. Leaving the charging on overnight will not damage the phone or battery.

2. Without explaining the physics of the matter, the best practice is to not let the phone go below 40 or 50% as much as possible, and top it off always. However, it is also advisable to not fully charge the phone rather top it off to only 90% or below.

3. Try not to heat up the phone. I know people play games on phones, but try to minimize the heating times.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The service rep mentioned to me that the phone should charge from 0 to 100% in about 2 hours with a good battery.
The "service rep" (read: sales person) doesn't know much about lithium batteries. NEVER let it fall below 40% charge unless you like buying batteries. Lithium batteries are NOT deep-discharge batteries (which is why they aren't used in cars yet).

He also mentioned that I should not leave the phone charged overnight or left charged after it reaches 100% or else it starts damaging the phone?
I'll claim "nonsense", because I'd be kicked off the forum if I told you what I really think about that claim. I've left batteries on charge for 30 days with no harm. (The charger inside the phone turns off once the battery is fully charged - the only thing affected is a tiny increase in your electric bill because the charger itself is still drawing a tiny bit of power.)

I have found that if I do not keep the phone charged, it immediately starts losing power.
That's the sign of a failing battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty