Question Any idea what this rectangle is?

nahman34

Mar 14, 2024
Visit site
Bought a s20 ultra on ebay. There's a rectangle shadow on lower half, center of the screen. I thought it was a burnt in charge indicator but androids is circular? Apple is a battery symbol? Any idea what this might be? I'm hoping not a replacement screen but you never know with ebay.

Last question would you return the phone?

Attachments

• 20240312_124510.jpg
    20240312_124510.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:

nahman34

Mar 14, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I suspect it's the fingerprint sensor that's visible under certain light conditions.

That's it. Good news I bought it new and imma try warrantying it through Samsung. Bad news I gotta warranty it through Samsung. Mines much easier to see. The things we do to keep expandable storage.

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's it. Good news I bought it new and imma try warrantying it through Samsung. Bad news I gotta warranty it through Samsung. Mines much easier to see. The things we do to keep expandable storage.
To be clear, I don't think this is a defect -- it's just that in certain light, the sensor is visible. I've seen this on my Pixel 7 Pro as well.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Is there a screen protector on it?
Nope. Just the screen. There's no symbol there to be a burn in. It's only there on dark screens. White background I don't notice it
Just my opinion, but it sure looks to me like there's a screen protector on the display.
Notice all the scratches & tiny nicks/tears? The Gorilla Glass display wouldn't typically have all those dimensional/raised and torn surface scratches. Might dbl-check whether it does or not.

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Just my opinion, but it sure looks to me like there's a screen protector on the display.
Notice all the scratches & tiny nicks/tears? The Gorilla Glass display wouldn't typically have all those dimensional/raised and torn surface scratches. Might dbl-check whether it does or not.
Maybe another picture of the whole screen will be handy.

Reactions: winmod21

nahman34

Mar 14, 2024
Visit site
It's dust. The poor air quality in la is no joke. Within an hour of cleaning my car its dusty all over again. Trade off is it never rains and the wax outside lasts over 6 months.

I don't see the sensor on my normal s20 or my pro max. I would have sent that pixel in. Apple was replacing entire phones with one minor speck of a nick to the bezel.

Reactions: winmod21

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I mentioned that this is normal under certain light conditions (typically in direct bright light, especially outdoors with direct sunlight). Are you seeing this with normal ambient light indoors?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's dust. The poor air quality in la is no joke. Within an hour of cleaning my car its dusty all over again. Trade off is it never rains and the wax outside lasts over 6 months.

I don't see the sensor on my normal s20 or my pro max. I would have sent that pixel in. Apple was replacing entire phones with one minor speck of a nick to the bezel.
So you decide what you're going to do?

nahman34

Mar 14, 2024
Visit site
So you decide what you're going to do?
So turns out the screen jitters when plugged in and the mic only works with very few apps. Anyone have any ideas I am looking to keep this phone? If you see the fingerprint sensor you should send it in or atleast check those two things. I just got off samsung chat after 2 hrs, they said it was end of life and nothing they can do. I said as much. They said I might find parts at a ubreak or one of the four bestbuys in la that fix galaxys but they couldn't check inventory. I'd have to call in the morning bc everything's closed on a phone that no one can hear me from to check inventory. Luckily my barely hanging in there phone works better than this new one. Ugh.

I don't have all this time and if i get to it after the return period idk what I'm suppose to do bc samsung doesn't know. an ultra for $220 and expandable storage is why I'm doing this. They did mention sending me a s24 but that never came to much more than a mention of trading in and paying more for it. I liked it better when companies would send you the latest and greatest if you had a defective end of life product under warranty. Ugh

To be fair I hate apple cs support too. Things should just work. Ugh

Last edited:

nahman34

Mar 14, 2024
Visit site
Anyone know of a us based cs support number? I got canned responses for 3hrs yesterday and they continue to mess up a simple request of updating the falsely expired warranty. They incorrectly closed a ticket saying eol and they keep repeating it instead of fixing it.

Oh and they offered 200 off, free samsung care, and a free memory upgrade on retail of a s24 when I told them I paid 220. 🤷‍♂️

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej