Android without GMail

A

AC Question

Recently my grandmother got my uncle's old cellphone, and today I've been trying to set it up for her. It's an LG-P990, running on Android 2.2.2, which can't be further upgraded. In order to have everything run smoothly, but trying to not overcomplicate things, I set up a Google account for her, without Gmail, using her provider based email address. That worked out just fine, and I have been able to get her entire addressbook mishmash into her new Google Contacts.

However, I am not able to get the cellphone to log in to Google, as it simply responds that her account is not a Gmail account. As such, it's unable to sync her contacts etc. I'm guessing that it's due to the device running on an older version of Android, dating from prior to when Non-Gmail Google accounts were an option.

Does anyone know a way to get around this and make the device connect to her Google account, or am I forced to set up a bogus Gmail address for her as well? If so, is there a way to attach the bogus Gmail address to be made to her current Google account, and keep her provider based email address (the one she actually uses) as the main address?

Any help is much appreciated,

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
You have to have an actual Gmail account. You can not just use an existing non Gmail account. Create a new Google account. You can still use the non Gmail account for emails, but you must have a Gmail (Google) account to use Android.