Chrome icon missing - app still installed, enabled

travelerrob

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
I'm brand new to Android (have an iPhone for years, still do).

I tried to move the Google Chrome icon from the "Google" folder that my phone has installed by default. I accidentally put it on top of another icon so that created a new folder. I went into that folder, tried to move it again and this time it came out of the folder, my screen turned off and now the Chrome icon is gone. I cannot find it anywhere.

I see it listed in Apps. It's enabled.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the app. I can launch it from the Google Play store and it works but I cannot find, nor can I re-create, the app icon on any screen.

I need this back as I do a lot of web browsing. Any ideas?

I have a brand new Neffos C5L (TP-Link phone).

Thank you. It's running Android 5.1

travelerrob

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Sorry, I have no idea what the "app drawer" is.

I can see what apps I have installed in one of two ways:
1. Go to Settings | Apps and from there I can see what's running, installed, downloaded, etc. Chrome *does* appear in this list of apps. But my only options from this list are "force close" and "disable".
2. Go to Google Play and it will show me what apps I have downloaded. From here I can "uninstall" or "open" the app. This is the only way I have of opening the app right now.

There are no other ways to see what apps I have installed.

Thanks,
Rob

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello Rob, welcome to the forums. I've never used that particular device, but in general you can open the app drawer with the icon at the middle of the bottom row (circle with 6 dots). Once opened search for any app that you want to add to your home screen, long press on it and drag it to the screen.

travelerrob

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. My phone doesn't have that. Whenever I click and hold the center button it brings up the Google Search bar. If I click & hold the far right button (in the shape of a square on my phone) I can change the homescreen widget or wallpaper. Nothing else besides what I mentioned above brings up the app list.

I have unintsalled and reinstalled Chrome again to no avail. I can still only open it if I search for it in the Google Play store. Obviously that doesn't work so now I'm forced to do a complete factory reset.

I hope a lot is actually backed up to my Google account before I do this. Otherwise I have to start the whole config process over for the phone. Good thing it's the weekend :)

And thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

-Rob

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The app drawer should be right above that circle you mentioned. If nothing works you could try a workaround. Open Chrome from the Play Store, load one of your most used pages, tap on the three dots top right and select 'add to homescreen'. This way you'll create a shortcut on your home screen for that particular site.

travelerrob

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Turns out this doesn't work for me. Every time the phone restarts or battery dies, the home page icon I created based on the web page I created the shortcut for is deleted automatically.

I think I'm back to having to re-image the device from factory settings and starting all over again. UGH!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty