My Tablet downloaded Android 6 Marshmallow. Why can't I use a micro SD card as internal storage

A

AC Question

Tablet is Samsung Tab s SM-T700 about 2 years old. Came with 16Gb internal storage. Now got about 3 left. Had bought a 64 GB SD card before download. Formatted that but still no option to incorporate it into tablet as additional internal storage. Been to Samsung store in Wembley today. About as much help as a chocolate teapot.
They said your tablet doesn't have this option???
So why has it been send as an update.
Any ideas please?
Thanks
Rob

rjt64

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Sorry I don't understand what you are asking. I thought an update would contain that facility.
According to other sources, Android 6 aka Marshmallow lets you use an external SD card as additional internal storage if you format the card first.
Is it just that Samsung have not allowed the SD card to be used as internal memory?

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
No, the Marshmallow update introduced adoptable storage to those devices that can support it. There is a hardware requirement for such support. Officially Samsung does not support adoptive storage but the S7 series contains the necessary hardware and the method using adb can be found on the internet. This isn't available on your device.
Frankly adoptable storage achieves little, in practice, other than headaches. It certainly doesn't allow apps to be installed to SD cards that have been formatted that way so there is no space saving