How do I make HERE WeGo the default map/nagivation app in Android?

A

AC Question

For the life of me, I can't make the HERE app the default map app on my Samsung Galaxy S5 (Sprint branded) running 6.0.1 (Marshmallow). When I get a clickable address on a browser, for example, clicking on the link always launches Google Maps. I want to use HERE WeGo app instead because I like its offline capability. I looked in Settings but there's no setting for defaults for mapping app. I also tried clearing app cache to no avail.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Read THIS article.

Basically, it tells you to create a new calendar event and enter a location (address). After you create the event, (make sure you save it), open it, click on the location link, and the phone should ask you to choose which app to use... Here or Maps.

I just tested this on LP 5.1.1 and Kitkat phones and tablets, and it works. I don't know if it'll work on MM.

Let us know how it goes... but first you'll have to join AC to be able to reply...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

TK2011

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Method mentioned in the link is for LP and does not apply to MM, I think. There's no default map setting in MM.

Your calendar method does work for me for calendar events. However, clickable addresses in web search results (even Bing) still take me to Google Maps. It seems links generated by search engines directly points to Google Maps URL (because they figured i'm using Android). Anyway, it's a progress.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
See if Send to GPS will work. The app will add a share to Here, (from a location on G Maps or in a browser, again in Maps) but you will still need to click on the location icon in the browser before sharing to the app. I'm not sure if it'll share from a location link someone sends you from say, facebook or even in a text/email. It's a hassle solution, but mess with it and see how it goes. You can watch this video about Send to GPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnShqqSS2gA

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I have attached the screenshots for the process on my Nexus 6P running Nougat. I don't think the process differs significantly from MM, but it may differ from Samsung....

Screenshot_20161212-194809.jpg
Screenshot_20161212-194902.jpg
Screenshot_20161212-194952.jpg

In the second shot, you tap on Open Supported Links

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I have attached the screenshots for the process on my Nexus 6P running Nougat. I don't think the process differs significantly from MM, but it may differ from Samsung....

View attachment 247980
View attachment 247981
View attachment 247982

In the second shot, you tap on Open Supported Links
This is the best feature of MM (EDIT: and I guess N!) versus KK and LP... permissions. So are you able to cause all location links to open in Here maps no matter where they originate... browser, email, etc?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member