How do I get my Samsung Galaxy S5 to use my Bluetooth earpiece to record and playback audio?

A

AC Question

I got a Plantronics M55 Bluetooth earpiece to use with my Samsung Galaxy S5. I can make and receive calls with it okay, but I can't get it to pick up my voice for voice recordings or for playback of audio, like a whatsapp audio msg. I can't find any setting that switches to use the Bluetooth device over the inbuilt phone mic. Any advice?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
If the device supports media audio, you need to enable it in the bluetooth settings. Actually, it's likely it was enabled by default. See that settings screen below.

Screenshot (Jan 25, 2017 5:46:45 AM).jpg

To get there, with the device powered on you would go into settings > Bluetooth then tap the gear next to the device. On my Nexus 6P anyway...

linnear

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
Thank you hallux. I checked this, and the Media audio option is enabled for the Bluetooth device.
Do I need a particular app? I can't see how I should, if the phone can switch to using the Bluetooth device for calls.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
You shouldn't. In fact - in showing you that screenshot I enabled it for my device and was later trying to figure out why my navigation prompts were not coming from my phone, I never disabled it. As long as you have media audio enabled it should work.

I also have a Plantronics headset, mine has a companion app that allows for control of features but the app doesn't allow the same control for your headset (it's actually in the app description, good going Plantronics!) https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...antronics.headsetservice&hl=en&token=uajBmIzh