Wife got me an iPad but I want a Prime (story)

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
So, this Christmas my wife surprised me in a big way. Here's the story, wife has story that friend of the family(old guy) wants to get his wife an iPad and since I'm the family tech expert, I am to decide what he gets. My wife suggests I just go pick it up for them. My solution for her, 16g wifi iPad should suffice for her needs, and I went to target and pick it up. His daughter came over to pick up the iPad and asked me to set it up for them, and my wife even 'receives' money from them for it and even deposits it and shows me the deposit... All is good.

Fast forward to Christmas day. Man am I surprised when I open an iPad, especially after we both agree to get NOTHING for each other at Christmas this year(at least I got a couple small token things for her). It's the exact iPad I picked up at the store. Sooo new years eve, its bothering me and i decide I should say something and tell her about the this awesome prime tablet and it should be great and suggest switching them out, as I'm thinking she doesn't care what I have as long as I am happy with it. Well she starts crying about how she saved up for so long and worked hard to get it to all work out, and besides its the one I said was best. And a few things about how unappreciative I am and I ruined the whole holiday season for her. Then a lot more tears and not too much talking.

So what do I do?? If I am already a jerk should I just go ahead and get the prime? I'm guessing that would be a VERY unpopular choice around the house! The iPad is actually nice, very polished and smooth, but I am an android guy. The prime seems as good or better in almost every way that I can tell, plus with the freedom of android, expandable, slash, better cameras and NO ITUNES... I'm thinking about compromising and switching the 16G for a 32g iPad and move on with my life. To her an iPad is an iPad.. Btw, she really likes using it too.

What to do? Any ideas??

mikefrombx

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Don't be a cheapskate buy your own and give her the ipad. Tell her you recommended it because the people weren't tech savy.

By the way my wife knows better than to try to buy me tech she just says I wanted to pick you up something and gives me a pass to buy whatever I want. Get your house in order sir.

sent from my phone so deal with the terrible grammar and misspellings

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
So I just read my post and the message I am seeing is that the 16g iPad is significantly better than the nothing I was prepared to get, and now I feel like a jerk.. I should be happy and forget about the prime already.

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Don't be a cheapskate buy your own and give her the ipad. Tell her you recommended it because the people weren't tech savy.

By the way my wife knows better than to try to buy me tech she just says I wanted to pick you up something and gives me a pass to buy whatever I want. Get your house in order sir.

sent from my phone so deal with the terrible grammar and misspellings

Unfortunately not enough $ to have two of thesekinds of things in the house! I actualy Suggested her to keep the iPad and I'll get the prime, well that didn't go very well. I'm thinking after this I won't need to worry about getting any more tech gifts! But I do like the way your house works.

uglyyeti

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I feel for you on that one. She obviously spent a lot of time saving, planning and scheming to get that thing under the tree for you - that's real love. Learn to love the ipad - it's a pretty cool device in most circles (but well beyond this forum.) It's not like you really wanted a labrador and she got you a chihuahua - it isn't a lifelong commitment. I'm referring to the tablet there, not the marriage.

Given the choice you were given of making a recommendation for someone else, I would have recommended the iPad for the "old guy" too - without a second guess. They're nice and they just work. No hanging out in forums looking for the next bug fix. And he wouldn't be calling you when it doesn't work.

Make peace with the wife and have fun with it. And they don't live as long as dogs. Again, referring to the tablet.

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
That is about where I am at now too. I wish I had gone through this process before I just opened my mouth! That was a bad foot in mouth moment, making for a cold new years eve! Who knew AC was good for marriage counseling..

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
So, this Christmas my wife surprised me in a big way. Here's the story, wife has story that friend of the family(old guy) wants to get his wife an iPad and since I'm the family tech expert, I am to decide what he gets. My wife suggests I just go pick it up for them. My solution for her, 16g wifi iPad should suffice for her needs, and I went to target and pick it up. His daughter came over to pick up the iPad and asked me to set it up for them, and my wife even 'receives' money from them for it and even deposits it and shows me the deposit... All is good.

Fast forward to Christmas day. Man am I surprised when I open an iPad, especially after we both agree to get NOTHING for each other at Christmas this year(at least I got a couple small token things for her). It's the exact iPad I picked up at the store. Sooo new years eve, its bothering me and i decide I should say something and tell her about the this awesome prime tablet and it should be great and suggest switching them out, as I'm thinking she doesn't care what I have as long as I am happy with it. Well she starts crying about how she saved up for so long and worked hard to get it to all work out, and besides its the one I said was best. And a few things about how unappreciative I am and I ruined the whole holiday season for her. Then a lot more tears and not too much talking.

So what do I do?? If I am already a jerk should I just go ahead and get the prime? I'm guessing that would be a VERY unpopular choice around the house! The iPad is actually nice, very polished and smooth, but I am an android guy. The prime seems as good or better in almost every way that I can tell, plus with the freedom of android, expandable, slash, better cameras and NO ITUNES... I'm thinking about compromising and switching the 16G for a 32g iPad and move on with my life. To her an iPad is an iPad.. Btw, she really likes using it too.

What to do? Any ideas??

I see where you are going with getting the iPad for the non tech oriented person.
But I always encourage Android over everything else, and if ya did that it may not have been a prime but at least android.

I would take it back .

xtreme381

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the exact same problem as you. My fiance bought me the Galaxy 10.1 for my birthday after we both went out and researched what was on the market together. Well the next morning the Prime was announced. I go resolved that I'm going to tell her to take it back and wait for the better tab to come out. I was fully prepared for a holy poop storm to rain down on me. I even solicited the advice of my sister and she agreed that I should trek her. When I got home from work she had it wrapped and hidden for me to find. She wanted some surprise factor since I picked it out. Well I found it, open it and dropped the bomb. Basically my argument was that a new version just came out and that since it's a large purchase and something that I would ultimately be using and need to live with for a while I would be willing to wait for the better version.

Thankfully she bought it and agreed that I should have the best on the market since ultimately it is something that I need to be happy with. It didn't hurt that they were the same price. I would talk to her again and try to explain that appreciate the thought and effort she put into the gift but what would really make you happy is the Prime. That's the end goal for her is to make you happy.

I also helped my situation by getting her the iPad for Christmas. Good luck bro!

xtreme381

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Also figured I'd mention that add soon as she hinted at getting me a tablet for my birthday I spoke up and said let me research it first and pick it out for something of that magnitude.

Sorry for typos in the earlier post. I'm using the browser on my Bionic with Swype so don't feel like proofreading long posts

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
well guys you must be lucky to have such cool wives/girlfriends/fiancees giving you gadgets for Christmas! LOL listen to my story now.. we've used ipad 2 for the past few months well mostly my wife and she really got attached to it. So yesterday when i finally received my Prime i was testing it for the whole day and looking into ways to customize it for her. at the same time i gave my ipad 2 to my mother and took back the old Acer Timeline laptop (which my wife previously used for 2 years and also got very attached to it.) planning to put it up for sale on ebay. so this morning she broke down in tears telling me that i'm experimenting with new gadgets all the time while the only thing she really needs is to have one device that she would be using every day which would have all her saved bookmarks passwords pictures videos etc. etc. and I won't even dare to take it away from her! and that she will boycott and not use the Prime! So... I'm taking the Acer laptop back to my mom and returning the ipad 2 back to my wife... well... the best part probably is since i got rid of one of my two desktop computers and the laptop our electricity bill was significantly lower this month. I think having the ipad 2 and the Prime is the best choice for us at this moment....

Sneakersislife

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
tell her you love her, tell her the thought of her saving up for a long time toget you a gift and you ruining it is killing you, then explain to her how you wouldnt want ehr hard saved money to go to waste and explain the differences between the two tablets and how the prime is superior.

tell her how the price of the prime is less than the ipad (which it isnt) then explain to her how nothing in the world would make you happier than to use the extra money to take her out to a nice dinner as an apology.

you bite the bullet and spend some of your money to take her out for a nice meal, and all is well in the world.

JackG058

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
tell her how the price of the prime is less than the ipad (which it isnt)...

Actually, the Prime IS less in price than the iPad. A 32gb Prime retails for $500, whereas the iPad 2 32gb retails for $600. That is comparing same storage size and WiFi only. Prime is much better deal IMHO.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
since she likes using the ipad, get yourself a prime, and before she sees, load GoLauncher, ADW, or Launcher pro, and add an iOS theme (I can't remember which launcher has the iOS theme), then give her the ipad she gave you and tell her that you got her one too so that you can both enjoy in the new year :-D
everyone wins hehe ;-)
jk ;-)

hey but worth a shot. jk. jk

but hey you never know until you try!! jk jk hehe ;-)
(she'll for sure notice the different dimensions 16:9 against the 4:3 or whatever the ipad is)

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both tried the iPhone and we hated them with a passion. (Essentially an iPad is a big iPhone.) The guy that said there's no way his wife would ever try and by him any tech gadgets is correct. My wife knows better. Besides, i buy them before she even knows about the devices, then I give her my old stuff and sell her older stuff. It's a loop that I'm stuck in, lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez