Anyone a fan of old autralian Holdens

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Give me a hint, I don't know what they are, lol. :p

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

ROFL sorry that wasnt a "you r so dumb laugh" just the thought of anyone not knowing. They r one of 2 favourite makes of Australian cars. Holden and Ford.

They are both American owned i think. GM (General Motors) or GMH (General Motors Holden). GMH is unique to Australia i think, & some of the old ones are my favourite cars. Like the The HR & EH sedans. Have a look online at some of the pics. Whats your favourite type of car? Let me convert you lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AC Forums mobile app

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Lol, ok gotcha. I have a Chevy Equinox. Just paid it off in September, yay!

qyhahe7e.jpg

And if course, I had to personalize it.

ta5yjy7y.jpg

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I like the Holden Commodore. The Pontiac G8 was inspired by it I believe. I wouldn't mind a G8!

✌SG3/iPad2

Cool. Which Commodores do u like? I think the third one is my favourite one. Its the last of the early series, i reckon it looks the best & I think its a classic now too.

Dont know the pontiac, except iv heard the name. Is it one of the large American cars? We used to call them Yank Tanks lol, not in a derogitory way, just a nickname really. Does the model name mean its an 8 cylinder do u know?

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I like the Holden Commodore. The Pontiac G8 was inspired by it I believe. I wouldn't mind a G8!

✌SG3/iPad2

I looked up a website and it said Pontiacs are affiliated with Holden and mentioned the G8. Quite a few others are affiliated with Holden too. That puts my nose out of joint a bit lol :p
I will have to investigate this further :cool:

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Lol, ok gotcha. I have a Chevy Equinox. Just paid it off in September, yay!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/21/qyhahe7e.jpg

And if course, I had to personalize it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/21/ta5yjy7y.jpg

Nice car! Is it a 4WD or a people mover? Well thats what they r called here. Either way its cool :). Bet it felt good when u paid the last payment!!! Whoo hoo!! :):):)
Nice name too, sounds exotic lol & luv the number plates :thumbup:

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
It's AWD on demand. We live in the boonies so 4WD or better is a necessity in the winter (coming soon, had our first frost of the season this morning).

And yes, it did feel good to pay it off, lol. Finally. :D

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Anyone a fan of old Australian Holdens

It's AWD on demand. We live in the boonies so 4WD or better is a necessity in the winter (coming soon, had our first frost of the season this morning).

And yes, it did feel good to pay it off, lol. Finally. :D

Lol where is the boonies?! My last name was Boon before marriage. I must ring my sister and tell her lol

Whoops, forgot! I'm supposed to be converting you lol.
Well, Holden has their version of 4WD, but I have to admit (sorry Holdens), Toyota Landcriuser is my fav off road car. Although maybe even better was a Volkswagen beetle mum & dad had when I was 15, 16 lol. They had no idea the fun I had through the mud, drenched boggy clay & Loose sand lol. It had rust holes in in the floor too so if we went through a puddle we had to lift our legs hoping we wouldn't get splattered with mud :eek:. Those were fun times :p.

Edit: just noticed Pennsylvania on yr number plate. Now I've got a jigsaw on my tablet that is fun but also to learn the American States. But I can't remember that one. But I reckon its on the South East coast, somewhere between Texas & Florida. Some I can picture exactly :D

Sent from my MID using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Lol, PA is on the Mid Atlantic East Coast. We are about 60 miles north of Washington, DC. We are very rural, hence the boonies. We only have 2.5 acres but are surrounded by farmland and hills.

Out my front door...

ugu9ety7.jpg

Where are you exactly? Anywhere near the big fires in SA?

We had a Chevy Nova in the '70's. I loved that car. Air shocks, wide tires, dual exhaust out the sides. 4 speed on the floor. Cool car.

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Lol, PA is on the Mid Atlantic East Coast. We are about 60 miles north of Washington, DC. We are very rural, hence the boonies. We only have 2.5 acres but are surrounded by farmland and hills.

Out my front door...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/21/ugu9ety7.jpg

Where are you exactly? Anywhere near the big fires in SA?

We had a Chevy Nova in the '70's. I loved that car. Air shocks, wide tires, dual exhaust out the sides. 4 speed on the floor. Cool car.

What a beautiful area u live in :)
I live in Adelaide, South Australia. On the coast sort of down the bottom in the middle. No bushfires here at the moment. They r in New South Wales which is sort of on the East coast in the middle. Sounds confusing even to me lol. We get a lot of bushfires here, but it depends on the amount of dry vegetation & the weather. So if we have a few years of good rain and mild summers, the undergrowth will
YUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!! I just had to kill a largish black house spider that DARED to set foot in my room
Anyway undergrowth will be thick and high. Then after its been hot for a while its very dry. Then if we get a hot north strong wind everyone's on edge, waiting.

Well I could write a book on it lol but I won't. My son is in the CFS now (Country Fire Service). So I'm more nervous in case he gets called into a big one.

I'm guna try to find a photo of an HR Holden and/or an EH & see if I can put it on here. :)

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
well i found some great shots but i couldnt save, share or download. il try it on my laptop wrn i get home.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Their nice, except for value they are horrible. One issue is the models often have a European build or the Australian one (e.g. barina/astra) which if your unlucky to get the euro build your repairs cost more.

To be honest I wish we didn't have a luxury car import tax as it would make the safer cars more cheaper, more competitive and better off for the consumer.

Soon Holden won't really be an Australian imagine soon which is a real shame.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I believe your car Deb is a Holden Captiva or a variant of it in Australia

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Their nice, except for value they are horrible. One issue is the models often have a European build or the Australian one (e.g. barina/astra) which if your unlucky to get the euro build your repairs cost more.

To be honest I wish we didn't have a luxury car import tax as it would make the safer cars more cheaper, more competitive and better off for the consumer.

Soon Holden won't really be an Australian imagine soon which is a real shame.

definitely sad :( :mad: :thumbdown:
In the older Holdens they were much cheaper to get parts, easier to work on yourself and cheaper to run too (comparing to the Fords anyway). Fords had more guts generally coz of the bigger pistons. My 1st car was a falcon XL, must be one of the earliest from photos iv seen. It had no guts and the retreads kept going flat lol.

so yr an Ozy too :) where abouts? im an adeladian :p

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Perth boy.
To be honest right now Toyota is becoming more Australian than Holden as least they are building cars here for a touch longer than Holden and ford. It's sad we have no industry any more but its understandable with out labour rates.

I find it a joke if you import a $70,000 car you get a $30,000 tax etc than some cars e.g dodge you have to pay $25,000 to convert the steering. I wish we were like Europe getting a BMW for the price of a Holden.

I should get my licence soon, just haven't had the chance to drive as I have trekk it to whoop whoop to get lessons.

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Perth boy.
To be honest right now Toyota is becoming more Australian than Holden as least they are building cars here for a touch longer than Holden and ford. It's sad we have no industry any more but its understandable with out labour rates.

I find it a joke if you import a $70,000 car you get a $30,000 tax etc than some cars e.g dodge you have to pay $25,000 to convert the steering. I wish we were like Europe getting a BMW for the price of a Holden.

I should get my licence soon, just haven't had the chance to drive as I have trekk it to whoop whoop to get lessons.

? Why would u need to trek out bush for lessons? I could understand if u had to trek FROM the bush. Not unless u have a favourite uncle out bush whose guna show you the ropes first :p